Chapter 30

Chapter 30

I groan into my pillow as the first rays of Saturday's sunshine slip through the blinds, hitting my face in a relentless manner. I quickly roll to my other side and automatically reach for my phone sitting on my nightstand to check the time.

To my surprise it's only 8:03 AM and I have three texts waiting for me. All are from Zion. A rush of energy seems to enter my nerves and I sit up, moving to my inbox to read his messages.

Zion: You up?

Zion: I'm heading to the courts. Want to meet me here and play some 1 on 1?

Zion: At the gym. If you get up before 10, I'll be here.

I check the time again, realizing I've missed his texts by only a half hour. Despite my earlier tiredness, I roll out of bed to start changing into the first pair of basketball shorts I can find. Yea yea, I know. Even though Zion is pussy-less, the term 'pussy whipped' does in fact apply to this situation.

Pathetic, but true.

What can I say? When I fall, I fall hard. Can't blame a guy for believing in love, right?

I scramble around my room to grab a few things and send a single response just as I'm heading out the door.

Me: Be there in 5.

~~~~

The drive to the high school feels like it takes longer than normal. It's been close to a month since Zion and I have been doing...whatever the hell you'd call our relationship. Not once has he texted me before 9 AM, and never before has he sent me multiple texts without a response from me in between.

So what's with the change in behavior all of a sudden? My mind kicks into overdrive, throwing a troublesome question into the forefront of my brain.

...Does he want to end things between us?

I scoff under my breath. Ending things would imply that we're together, which we definitely are not. I mean, not in the conventional sense anyway. Hell, all we do is fuck and text. I suppose I'll take part of the blame in stupidly assuming that after both of us admitted our feelings, things between us would get easier.

For the record? They haven't.

I mean, I'll cut him some slack. I know he's not willing to come out yet, and I will never be the guy to force my partner into moving out of his comfort zone. That being said, I'd like it if things progressed just a small step forward.

As it is, we don't even hang out unless it's to play basketball or with the intention of having sex. Granted, the sex is unbelievable. Still...call me an emotional cup of fudge, but I kind of want something more with him.

Shit. Can he tell that's how I'm feeling?

Does he want to go back to just friends?

I swallow back a lump in my throat, imagining him taking me aside to tell me things are moving too fast for him. Even the thought makes bile begin to churn in my stomach. How would he tell me?

Just as I pull into the first empty spot of the parking lot, another horrible thought surfaces. What if I walk into that gym and I find him with someone else? This is the exact same situation I was in with Bobby – head over heels and rushing to meet my man at the gym for a one-on-one basketball session.

A clammy sweat breaks out across my palms. He wouldn't do that to me...would he? I reach back to grab my bag in the backseat, trying not to tremble as I get out of the car and half jog towards the basketball court.