Chapter 22

Chapter 22

"You shouldn't have done that," I scold under my breath.

"I know," Bobby says, carefully inspecting his face in the passenger side's overhanging mirror.

Despite the two, hard blows Bobby took to the face, he walked away without a bloody nose or busted lip. In fact, the only blood I can see is that left behind from Zion's bottom lip, the remnants now staining the knuckles of Bobby's right hand. That being said, however, the entire right side of his face is swollen, and a dark bruise is already beginning to form around his eye.

"I don't know what came over me," Bobby continues. "I had the image of you two together in my mind. And then he just had to add that smug ass comment to top it off, and I...just lost it."

His voice trails off to silence and he slumps against the seat, his gaze moving to the window to avoid looking at me. Did he just admit he was jealous? Of Zion? A piece of me wants to correct his false ideas regarding Zion and I, but I decide against it. Explaining what has happened between us would lead to more questions – questions I really don't want to answer, especially coming from him.

"I'm not exactly the favorite of the basketball team," I explain, softening my tone. "I'm barely keeping afloat, Bobby. That little stunt you pulled will make matters worse."

"I'm sorry," Bobby mumbles. "Believe it or not, I really didn't come here to cause any trouble."

I snort. Actions speak louder than words, buddy boy. My stomach grumbles as the two of us drive back towards my house. I've been so caught up with the last hour that I'm just now realizing that neither of us has had anything to eat for dinner.

Instead of getting into the lane that leads to my subdivision, I veer off to the right. It's apparent the two of us won't get any peace and quiet at a restaurant, so it looks like take-out is the way to go after all.

~~~~

After picking up a few orders of chicken and broccoli from the only Chinese restaurant in town, I drive the two of us to the recreational park near the high school. The sun has almost set completely, and I have to pull out my phone to navigate towards the picnic tables.

"Too bad we didn't bring any candles," Bobby says sarcastically from behind me. "This is quite the picturesque location."

"Yea, well apparently you can't handle being in public, so our choices are limited," I banter in return.

Bobby laughs, and the familiar sound brings me back to all those summer nights he and I spent hanging out, having sex, and fighting off sleep for just one more minute to get in another game on the Xbox. I think that was the hardest part about breaking up with Bobby. When I lost him I didn't just lose my first real lover; I lost my best friend too.

I glance at my phone as I take a seat across from Bobby at the picnic table. Two texts wait for me – one from Casper and one from Gigi.

Casper: Are you ok?

I text him back quickly.

Me: I'm good man, thanks.

Perhaps even if things with Casper didn't end exactly as I'd planned, a friendship might still be possible for the future. I slide my fingers over to the next text, and Gigi's name pops up on the screen.

Gigi: Can you call me real quick?

I take Bobby's food out of the plastic bag and push it towards him, and then take a few seconds to text Gigi back.