Chapter 11: A new age

    The first thing we did was sit the children down in the restaurant. The kids needed names because "you there" was getting confusing. [Name], Eddy, Ave, and I got paper and pencils to write down our ideas. After thirty minutes we put our utensils down just like in a test. Ed and I came up with zero names. Aveline and [Name] had came up with plenty. Now the tricky part was figuring out how to name them.

Selena
Rebecca
Ellie
Mary
Jake
Bobby
Stephen
Eric
Jade
Johnny
Marcus
Marceline

"What a fine job you lassies did." Edward complimented them as giving a hearty pat on their backs.

"How will we-" I started to question.

The children crowded the women's papers each looking at the list we have. Ed shoved his hands in his pockets while we watched. Eventually they backed away from the table. The girl I rescued pulled my sleeve and pointed to a name.

"Ellie?" I read aloud turning to her.

After her proud nod we grin to one another. The children just pointed and claimed a name which made it easy. They couldn't figure out names on their own although found choosing to be simpler.  Selena, Ellie, Jade, Marceline, Jake, Eric, Johnny, and Marcus were the names chosen by the eight. The mood and energy picked up each time we used their names. We spent the rest of the day using their names.

Waking with a jolt I still feel hot. Ellie's breathing hitches then returns to normal. I had held mine until she was breathing regularly again. She's holding on to her stuffed animal tighter than I like. Butterscotch giver picked up toys which left the kids ecstatic. Ellie became attached to the plushie instantly. I glance down at myself to see I'm drenched in sweat. I had the nightmare of when I'm in the fire burning next to my mother as we try to frantically put the other out. Ellie must be a heavy sleeper or she has become used to the sounds of agony at night.

"Con-Con!" Lil lady skips in yelling to me.

Once she reaches me I lift her up into a bear hug. After that nightmare I need a good loving hug. She doesn't seem to mind as I snuggle my face into her shoulder. I miss this scent. I place kisses over and over as if trying to make up for my misadventures.

"My par excellence." I whisper into her ear.

"If that's how you say 'Good morning' then-"

"Come on kiddies we have work to do." Achilles opens the door informing us.

"Both of us?" I look back and forth between the Davenports questioning.

"BS4E!" Eddy calls from outside.

Ellie trips down the stairs into [Name] and my hands. Her reflexes have increased greatly. Ellie wipes her left eye with her little hands smiling sweetly.

"I'll take care of her." Achilles smirks.

Running from rooftop to rooftop we arrive at the entrance to the forest. The last time I had come here was when we were camping. I feel old.

"We better not be camping again." Ave growled.

"Don't tell me you miss not having service already?" Eddy teased.

"Or playing how threatening is that growl?" I added on.

"Ugh." Aveline rolled her eyes. "At least I have [Name]."

Edward and I look at one another before returning our sights to her with a pout. Aveline's put her right hand on her hip as [Name] sighed.

"What are you two pouting about?" [Name] inquired with a bored tone.