Bayou

Bayou

    I had never been to the bayou until now. Aveline is originally from New Orleans so she obviously is used to such areas. Edward loves to sail and is the one leading so he must know his way around the marshes as well. Ave was actually free running past us to the woman we mean to seek so she joined us on the Jackdaw. This is her first time boarding the ship after she told Ed how terrible he sails. When she finally lands from her jump off a tree onto the ship she rolls and hugs me.

“Connor it is good to see you again.” Ave says to me.

“Wraaaa! Aveline how could you show Con’ more affection than me? Why you go to him first? Do you love him? Aye? Aye? Aye-”

   Aveline released me suddenly and forced Edward into a deep hug. At first I thought she was going to tackle him but she just held him.  They cuddled into each other making the crew around them want to go “aww” but fear of how they would react obviously kept them from doing so. When they separated from each other they smiled. I reached in my pocket and just held on to the necklace. This mushy stuff needs to stop.

“Hey guys let’s catch dinner!” I call out.

“What you have in mind exactly?” Aveline asks.

“No herbs just game. We have until nightfall the least is three. The last to return and whoever has least than three has to mop the decks after they do the dishes.” I propose.

   Edward eyes me with disbelief before he sticks out his left arm. I shake his hand returning the look than we all high-five. I run towards the stern as the others do we jump off the boat into the water. A short swim to the closes shore which was a pile of grass and seaweed but it was so thick I could stand on it. I look around for something to hunt.  No luck in plain sight so I swap to my eagle vision which should get something. A small bird flies past and I decide to chase it. I maneuver through the trees but stop as I see the other two ease dropping on something. I get closer and listen in on the campfire full of armed men. They speak of taking over the area which makes Ave furious it seems. I understand how she feels having my own war with the government over the reservations until the 44th president came into rule. At least he’s not under the templar influence like some others. The men wore brown rags that covered them in a muddy way it must be their camouflage. If these barbarians have that much commonsense they could be somewhat difficult later. Edward leans on a branch behind him in the tree he’s in, looks like he’s bored. I wave my hand getting their attention and nod my head towards the table. A line of fresh killed fish, birds and even an alligator lied on the table awaiting the inevitable. They looked at me with that look of determination it would be a race then. About twelve guys and four of us that makes four guys a piece which is more favorable than taking on all twelve at once.  I’m first out of hiding rolling and catching everyone’s attention. I decide to use my hidden blades this time instead of my tomahawk. Six guys make their way towards me. One falls no doubt from Aveline’s little flute. Edward has already found his four by the time the guys actually reach me. Slash his throat and stick the other blade in one of the others eye. Puncture the two men in the heart afterwards glancing behind to see the rest dead on the ground. We all turn to face each other giving looks of approval. Edward dashes to the table and takes as much small animals he can carry. Aveline does the same as he runs away. I sigh as I shake my head and pick up the alligator which is sure to win no matter how many birds and fish they have. As I make my way back with the alligator over my head I hear rattling in the trees. I paused my march and three men jump down carrying spears. They creep towards me with their spears aimed for my heart. The middle guy I shoot with my flintlock lunging at the left guy. Tomahawk rammed into his nose while the last guy tasted my hidden blade down his throat as his war cried.