Big Girls Don't Cry

It was nearly midnight when his head finally hit the pillow. Concert days were always the longest and most tiring.

They were in some coastal town that he can't remember the name of and they'd just finished playing to a crowd of thirty thousand people and he was starting to forget how many hours it had been since he slept last.

It was partially his own fault.

Over the past few weeks, he'd been getting up early to go for morning jogs with Kasia. He didn't particularly enjoy running – neither did she, he'd found out – but they both understood that there were certain necessary steps needed to be taken in order to maintain their stamina on stage.

Actually, that was bullshit.

Xavier's set involved very little movement on his part. He could eat five burgers a day and still be able to perform his show perfectly. Kasia was the one with the elaborate choreography.

Honestly, he just wanted to spend time with her – that's why he would hang out in her room so often.

He wondered if it was starting to seem pathetic, if maybe she could see right through his weak façade. But then again, Kasia was not exactly highly observant.

Or maybe, like him, she was just lonely.

It was quite a sad thought. Two people with their names up in lights, singing to crowds of thousands of people a night, yet they still felt all alone in the world.

Sighing, he shut his eyes and prayed he'd be able to fall asleep.

Unfortunately, just as he felt himself drifting off, loud knocking on the door caused his eyes to shoot open once more. Groaning, he pushed off the covers and stumbled towards the door, pulling it open to find Kasia standing on the other side.

If he didn't know any better, he would think she looked slightly nervous.

"What are you doing here?" he grumbled, wiping his eyes with the heel of his hand.

"I couldn't sleep," she whispered. "Do you wanna come out with me?"

"Out where?" he asked, his interest piqued.

She shrugged, running her hands up and down her hoodie covered arms. "Anywhere. I just need some air."

"It's the middle of the night," he groaned, despite the fact that he was pretty much already sold on the idea. Besides, they had a few days off before their next show, so needing sleep wasn't a valid excuse.

"Come on," she smirked, reaching out a finger to poke his bare chest, her eyes challenging him. "Live a little, Spiers."

What she probably didn't know was that she didn't even have to ask: he would have followed her anywhere on his own accord.

Holding out a finger, he hurried back to the bedroom to grab a hoodie and pulled it on before slipping into some nearby athletic shorts and sneakers and grabbing his wallet as he walked out the door.

They strolled silently down the halls of the hotel, taking the stairs two at a time until they reached the lobby. Checking for lingering paparazzi, they slipped out the back door and wandered off into the night.

There was a light breeze, the air smelling of the salty sea as they made their way to the boardwalk.

It's quite surreal, he thought. A year ago, he never thought he would be able to tolerate the presence of Kasia Stevens. Although he tried his best not to believe everything written in the tabloids, when he constantly heard stories about her outrageous antics, it was hard not to let them shape his opinion.