A Different Cinderella Story (David Bowie/Jareth Request)

"And Cora, remember to keep an eye on Jacob here," Cora's mother said. "He is your responsibility for the night."

Cora nodded, sighing. She was being forced to babysit the child of a family friend, and she was not happy about it. She would rather be at the party that was being thrown down the street for her school, but her parents were going out for the night, and no one else was available to babysit, so Cora was stuck watching the four year old. 

After hearing countless other reminders, Cora's parents finally left, and Cora turned to Jacob, who was already fast asleep on the floor in front of the garage door. Her lips curling into a small smile, she picked up the child and carried him to the couch, where she laid him down gently. Then, she sat on the chair on the opposite side of the room. Closing her eyes, she began dreaming of the fun that the rest of her school was having at the party. She wished once more that she was able to go along with them.

Suddenly, Cora heard a strange sound coming from behind her. Her eyes flew open and she jumped off of the chair, spinning around to face the source of the noise. Standing before her was a creature that looked quite human, but didn't seem to be... Human. It had long blonde hair, eyes of two different colors, and wore a suit that looked like it came from the beginning of time. Cora went to scream, but the creature covered her mouth with its hands.

"Now, now, we don't want to wake up the little tyke, do we?" It asked in a silky voice.

Cora pulled its hands away from her face and spun around to face it.

"Don't touch me!" She exclaimed. "I don't even know who--or what-- you are!"

"Well, Cora, all you had to do was ask," he said, the corners of his mouth twitching into a smile. "I am Jareth the Goblin King, and I am here to help you get to that party."

Cora crossed her arms. "And how exactly do you plan on doing that?" She asked, and then realized that Jareth had called her by her first name. "Wait, how do you know my name?"

"I have my ways," Jareth responded, slowly walking around the room. "As for how you're getting to the party, you'll walk."

"But I have to watch Jacob," Cora said, raising an eyebrow at him. "My parents won't be happy if they find out I've gone to that party and left Jacob alone in the house."

"That's where I come in," Jareth said, turning to face her. "I will pretend to be you in case your parents come home early." 

Cora looked at him with a "really?" kind of look, her arms still crossed.

Jareth smirked at her and spun around twice. When Cora could see his face again, he no longer looked like the goblin king that he was. Instead, he looked exactly like Cora! Cora stared at him in disbelief, and he copied her movement.

"It's like looking in a mirror," she muttered, and Jareth laughed. 

"Well then, we have to get you ready for that party," he said. "That is, if you're going."

"Of course I'm going!" She exclaimed. "I'm just not sure I have anything to wear."

Jareth snapped his fingers and changed back to his original form. "Easily fixed!" He said, and waved his hand in her direction. Her tank top and sweatpants disappeared, and were replaced with a blue/green leather jacket and a pair of black jeans. Her slippers also disappeared, and a pair of black Converse took their place. 

Cora stared at her outfit, amazed, and then looked up at Jareth.

"Is there any problem I can't fix?" He asked, looking down at his hands.

Cora laughed and headed for the door.

"Well, I guess I'd better get going. I'm already late," she said. "Do you have everything under control here?"

"I believe so," Jareth replied. "Now, don't have too much fun, otherwise I'm going to have to come and ruin the party." He smirked while Cora laughed. 

"Bye then," Cora said. She walked over to Jareth and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you for everything."

"You're welcome," Jareth replied, blushing. Cora smiled at him and walked out the door. Looking through the window, she saw Jareth change back to his "Cora" form. Grinning, she walked to the party with a spring in her step.

Wow, she thought. Who knew that goblin kings could be so considerate! 

_______________________

Hi! 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

I kinda like this one... Lol

As always, thanks for reading, commenting, voting, and all that other jazz.

:)