The Promised Help (Mike Nesmith Request)

Lisa smiled at the man sitting across from her in the coffee shop. They had been friends since what seemed like the beginning of time, and it was nice to have an afternoon to themselves for a change. After all, Mike Nesmith had become a busy man after being cast in a new hit TV show, "The Monkees". His days were spent practicing new music, recording in one studio, or shooting scenes in another. Despite this, Mike always found time to spend with Lisa, which she greatly appreciated. In return, she vowed to never miss one of his gigs. 

"So, Lisa, the boys and I have to be at the Van Gough Gough at five. The gig starts at seven, but we could probably sneak you in if you want?" Mike said, flashing her a boyish smile. She returned the smile, but shook her head.

"That's okay," she replied. "I have a bit of work to do at home, but I'll be there when the curtain rises."

Mike nodded in understanding, rising from the table. 

"Great! I'll see you there, then. I have to get going, though, Micky wanted to show me a few new rhythms he was working on."

Lisa rose as well, pulling on the small jacket she brought with her and grabbing her purse.

"Okay, I'll see you later!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike glanced at his watch before Davy announced the next song. It was nearing 8 o'clock, and there was still no sign of Lisa.Mike was growing a bit concerned. 

She's never been this late before.

Micky began to count off the next song, and Mike shook Lisa out of his mind.

Focus, Nesmith, you'll find her after the gig. Lisa's fine.

After the final song, Mike quickly put his guitar away and rushed into the crowd of the audience, looking for any sign of his best friend. Still, she was nowhere to be found.

Maybe she got sick, he thought to himself, and the musician rushed to his car. Hurrying into the front seat, he drove to Lisa's flat, pulling out the key to her home as he sped up the stairs. He unlocked the door and opened it slowly.

"Lisa?" he called as he walked through the door. There was no reply. In fact, Mike couldn't hear any noise in the apartment at all. He walked around the flat, first into the living room, then to the bathroom. He even checked her bedroom, where everything was left neat and undisturbed.

Finally, Mike entered the kitchen, and he cried out in shock when he saw her face-down on the ground. Quickly, he picked up her phone and dialed a number.

"Hello? I need an ambulance, quick. This is an emergency!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike sat in the waiting room, his face pale as he waited for any news of his friend. Peter sat next to him, rubbing his shoulder as he tried to comfort his bandmate. 

"She'll be fine," he told Mike. "She's a strong girl."

Mike nodded just as a nurse exited the girl's hospital room. The musician leaped from his chair.

"How is she?"

"She'll recover," the nurse replied. "Although I'm a bit concerned about her living habits. Do you know how often she eats?"

Mike shook his head slowly. "I don't see her enough to know that."

The nurse nodded. "Mr. Nesmith, we believe that she has been depriving herself of food and sleep. Do you have any idea why that could be?"

Mike thought for a moment. "Well, she's been trying to get a degree, and she's been working a few jobs...."

"I see," the nurse said, writing the new-found information down on a notepad. "Thank you, Mr. Nesmith. You may see her now, if you wish."

Mike nodded and followed the nurse into the room, his eyes widening in understanding as he finally realized what had been going on with his friend. Lisa looked over at him as he walked in the door, and he hurried over to her.

"Lisa, what have you been thinking? Why have you been working yourself so hard" he asked worriedly. Her eyes teared up a bit as she answered.

"I'm sorry, Mike, I didn't know this would happen," she replied truthfully. "I just really need to earn the money, and I really need a degree...."

Mike cut her off with a hug. "I'm just glad you're okay," he told her. Breaking away, he scanned her eyes, which had bags under them and were clearly struggling to stay open.

"Lisa, please know that I am here for you," he told her. "If you need the extra money, you can move in with me. I don't want you overworking yourself any more."

A tear rolled down Lisa's cheek as she pulled him into another hug. 

"Thank you, Mike. You're a wonderful friend."

He squeezed her tighter in response, and Lisa let out a sigh of relief.

____________________

Hello! Long time no see, right?

I hope you enjoyed this request! (I actually like the ending of this one!)

As always, thank you for reading, commenting, and all that jazz!