A Town Called Mercy

Who turns Marshal, and who takes whose side: the Doctor's or Amy's?

Here's "A Town Called Mercy!"

***

"The Old West," Sam deadpanned as they stood around the Time Lords later, looking at the town entrance in front of them. "Really?"

"Welcome to mystery tours," Jessie smirked.

"And Mercy," the Doctor inspected the sign. "81 residents."

"Look at this," Amy gestured to the line in front of the sign. "It's a load of stones and lumps of wood. What is it?"

"A load of stones and lumps of wood," Rhodey shrugged.

"The sign does say Keep Out," Rory pointed out.

"I see Keep Out signs as suggestions more than actual orders," the Doctor walked forward.

"Seriously, you should see what he does to clothes that say Dry Clean Only," Jessie rolled her eyes as she followed, the Ponds and the Avengers following.

The Doctor frowned when a street lamp outside the post office sparked, Vision watching the silent town residents curiously. "That's not right."

"It's a street lamp," Rory looked at it.

"An electric street lamp about ten years too early."

"It's only a few years out," Rhodey frowned.

"Mmmhmm," Jessie said sarcastically. "That's exactly what Rory said when he left his phone charger in Henry VIII's ensuite."

"Henry VIII, really?" Sam asked, surprised.

"Doctor," Vision began.

"Anachronistic electricity, Keep Out signs, aggressive stares," the Doctor counted off, grinning. "Has someone been peeking at my Christmas list?"

"Doctor!" Amy groaned as he headed for the saloon.

Jessie sighed when everything stopped the moment he entered. "Tea, but the strong stuff," he told the bartender. "Leave the bag in."

"What're you doing here, son?" the barmaid asked with a frown.

"Son? You can stay."

"Sir," a black man in a suit stood. "Might I enquire who you is?"

"Of course," he grinned. "I'm the Doctor, and - "

"Oh, hello," Sam blinked when everyone stood at once.

"No need to stand," the Doctor shook his head. "You see that? Manners. Oh, thank you," he eyed the man measuring him. "But I don't need a new suit."

"I'm the undertaker, sir," the man replied.

"I got a question," a young man in a brown suit and bowler walked forward, eyes narrowed. "Is you an alien?"

"Why?" Jessie was instantly on guard.

"Well, er, bit personal," the Doctor frowned. "It's all relative, isn't it? I mean, I think you're the aliens, but in this context, yes. Yes, I suppose I am."

***

"Hey!" Jessie ran after the group carrying her husband towards the town line, Vision and Sam keeping up easily, Rhodey keeping with Amy and Rory. "Let him go!"

"Put him down!" Sam shouted.

"Don't think we won't kill you," the woman from the saloon warned.

"Leave him alone!" Rory shouted.

"Rory, everything is completely under control," the Doctor shook his head. "Guys, guys, guys!" They threw him over the town line, and he winced as he stood back up. "Ow." He froze when he heard the clicks of guns, and he turned to see all the townspeople had revolvers pointed at him.