Forest of the Dead

You know, this would have been up earlier if my kids hadn't exhausted me. One more day left for Vacation Bible School. That's what I get when I volunteer to be primary crew leader and get assigned nine kids. I love them anyway. :)

Anyway, no need to explain this episode. Gif made once again by maddisondevil. By the way . . . this isn't the final nail in Jessie's coffin. }:)

Enjoy "Forest of the Dead!"

***

"Hey, who turned out the lights?"

Jessie teleported in right in time to hear those same words. She took in the scene in front of her, then immediately leapt forward and grabbed River's wrist. River spun around and gasped when she saw her. Jessie tried not to do a double take when her past self did the same thing. The Third Bad Wolf just tried to smirk and held up her other wrist. "Did you forget something?"

River brightened when she saw it. "Thank you!" she gave her a huge hug, which the Third Bad Wolf was happy to return. "Vashta - "

"Nerada," the Third Bad Wolf interrupted. "I know." She pulled out her sonic blaster, readjusting the settings. "That's why I came prepared." She shot the wall behind them. "That way, now." River climbed through first, and the Second Bad Wolf just stared at her future - though she didn't know it - self. The Third Bad Wolf just gestured impatiently. "Move!"

"Hey, who turned out the lights?" Proper Dave asked.

The Third Bad Wolf sealed the wall behind them, then walked up to join River. River folded her arms and glared. "You hung up on me," she accused.

"I was busy," she said briefly. And really, still trying to mourn Amy and Rory even after a week was busy.

"Sorry, but," the Tenth Doctor began. "Who are you?"

The Third Bad Wolf turned. "Bishop," she answered, holding out her hand. "Joan Bishop." If Octavian gave her the rank, she might as well use it somehow. "I've known River here for a long time."

"How long?" the Second Bad Wolf asked.

"Long enough," she turned. "Come on."

"How long's it been?" River asked quietly as they led the way, the past two Time Lords talking between themselves as well.

"Manhattan," she said darkly.

"Oh," River winced.

"Yeah, oh." The Third Bad Wolf stopped and cut a hole in the wall, looking through. "This is a clear spot," she declared.

"Right," River climbed through. "In, in, in. Right in the center. In the middle of the light, quickly. Don't let your shadows cross. Doctor?"

"I'm doing it," he said, taking out his sonic screwdriver and starting to scan the floor.

"There's no lights here," River looked around. "Sunset's coming. We can't stay long." She looked over. "Have you found a live one?"

"Maybe. It's getting harder to tell." He slapped his sonic screwdriver against his palm. "What's wrong with you?"

"Oh, move over," the Third Bad Wolf lightly kicked him with the toe of her boot. She crouched by him and opened her backpack, taking out a chicken leg. "Here we go." She tossed it into the shadow he'd been looking at, and immediately, all meat was taken off the bone. "Oh, that's a live one."

"That's a hot one," River said. "Watch your feet."

"They won't attack until there's enough of them," the Doctor eyed the Third Bad Wolf as she stood up, not taking her eyes off the Vashta Nerada. "But they've got our scent now. They're coming."