THREE

As soon as class let out, I was turning the corner towards the hall when suddenly there was a slight tug on arm. I flinched in anticipation for the strike that never came. Opening my eyes, and expecting to be face to face with Mason, I was surprised to see Chase frowning slightly at my reaction.

"Kaya", he began in a tone laced with concern.

"Um, I can't talk now Chase. I've gotta get to my next class," I said breaking out of his grasp.

"But wait!" he called after me. I quickened my pace and headed down the hall toward my locker. He easily caught up with me.

"Kaya, are you okay?" He asked stepping in front of my path.

"Fine, please leave me alone right now. I'm gonna be late."

"The bell won't ring till three minutes, would you just listen to me please?"

I sighed as I twisted my combination, and unlocked my locker. He took the invitation to lean against the one beside mine.

"Please make it quick," I replied and glanced over his shoulder to see if Mason was anywhere in sight. Thankfully he wasn't.

"Fine, what was up with Mason earlier?"

I shrugged.

"How should I know?"

"You're his girlfriend. What's his deal?"

"He's a little stressed right now." I lied.

"Stressed enough to nearly strike you across the face with his fist?"

"He wasn't aiming for me, and you know that. I was just trying to break you guys up." I answered looking him in the eye. He held my gaze for a minute, and then sighed and looked away.

"Yeah, I know. It's just you could've been hurt. If that happens again please don't try to get in the middle of it cause I swear whether it's an intentional or accidental hit, if he hurts you I'm gonna kick his ass."

I laughed off his threat, even though I knew he was dead serious. It was just the irony of it all. He had no idea of what I put up with on a daily basis.

"Okay dad," I teased, grabbing my Trig book and closing my locker.

"I mean it," he remarked before turning away and heading the other direction.

My smile faded as he disappeared out of my view. I pressed a hand to my bruised jaw. At least it didn't hurt as bad today. As I walked the quiet corridor I was reminded of just who gave me that bruise and the many more that covered my body. Oh how I wished I could tell Chase, but he's so overprotective I'm afraid he'd kill him. Not only that but, this is my battle to fight. Chase can't always be there to save me. I know I'm gonna have to face Mason one of these days. I just don't know how.

***

"You going to the party Friday night?" Aly spoke up as I took a seat with her and Rachel at the lunch table.

"Depends. Who's party is it?" I asked placing my tray down.

"Drew's."

Drew. One of Mason's best friends. I tried not to roll my eyes. Personally, I didn't have anything against Drew, it's just that he's part of Mason's crowd which meant that Mason would be going and in turn meant that I'd be forced to come.

"Oh, then yeah probably." I answered, taking a forkful of ravioli.

"Is Chase going?" Rachel suddenly asked.

"Most likely."

Now, Chase doesn't run with the same crowd as Mason, but he's pretty well-liked around the school. He's on the soccer team, while Mason plays football so he's cool with most of the jocks. At least I'd still have his company even though I'd probably be glued to Masons hip throughout the entire night. And speaking of him, here he comes.

I looked up in time to see him strutting across the cafeteria towards us.

"We'll see ya later." Aly commented as he approached the table. I looked down as I gathered up my lunch while Mason waited patiently for me to join him. He held out his hand for me to take. I kept a straight face as I intertwined my fingers with his.

"Talk to you guys after lunch," I replied as I was led away from my friends towards Mason's table.

"Aww they're so cute. It's like he can't live without her." I overheard Rachel coo. But, what my friends saw as an adorable act of our relationship, I saw as just another over-possessive treatment.

I looked back to see Chase take the seat I'd occupied only a couple of seconds ago, across from Rachel and Aly. I watched in envy as my friends joked and laughed together. I should be over there too.

"Hey Kay," Seth, who was sitting opposite my place greeted me as I took my seat beside Mason.

"Hi," I said, once again placing my tray down.

"So, I hear Bernadine's team got really good this year," Johnny began as he pushed back his messy hair, not even bothering to acknowledge my presence, "The old coach was fired they replaced him with Russ Armont."

"Seriously? Didn't he play in the pro college league." Seth asked, biting off a piece of his burger.

"Hell yeah, the guy's a legend." Johnny replied, aggravated as he once again flicked his dark bangs out of his eyes.

"We're still gonna crush em, no matter whoever the hell they got. Remember who holds first place in the league," Mason replied cockily. He rested an arm on my chair as he and his friends continued to argue about football. I didn't pay any attention to the conversation around me, while I absentmindedly picked at my food. No longer having an appetite, since Mason ruined it when he walked in the room, I went to stand up and throw away my trash.

"Woah hold up, where ya going?" Mason demanded before I could even stand to my feet.

"I was just throwing my stuff away..." I trailed off refusing to meet his gaze.

"Sit back down, I got it." He smiled putting on a fake front for his friends. I slowly lowered myself back into the seat and he took the tray from my hands.

"Be right back," he called over his shoulder leaving me at the table with Seth, Johnny, and Drew.

"What did you do to him?" Drew asked me with a smirk.

"What do you mean?"

"It's like he jumps at everything you do. You've got him pussy-whipped." Johnny snickered.

I refrained from rolling my eyes at their ridiculous assumptions.

"Nothing okay. Maybe he just likes doing things for me, and he's not whipped."

"That's what they all say." Seth commented, before taking a long sip of his Gatorade. I ignored them and turned back to face my previous table instead. Aly saw me looking over and waved in my direction. I forced a smile and raised my hand. I glanced at Chase for a moment, but he looked to be in an interesting conversation with Rachel. She reached over and flicked him in the shoulder between giggling hysterically. His face was red from laughing so hard.

I longed to join in the joke as well, but I knew I couldn't because Mason was already on his way back. I sighed as the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch.

"I'll catch you guys at practice." Drew called standing to his feet.

"Later." Johnny replied heading for the doors. I went to escape while the cafeteria became crowded with students starting for the exit.

"Looking for someone?" Mason asked reaching me before I could take a step.

I jumped, startled.

"No. Lets head to class before we're late." I forced a smile. He nodded, a smirk growing on his face.

"Yeah. Lets go."