THIRTY FOUR

The line of cars outside of Drew's house curved onto the next street. I could hear the bass of the speakers before I even opened the car door. Mason got out first, and I followed. As soon as we entered into the house he was collected by the rest of his team.

"Riley!" Johnny gave him a slap on the back, and took a swig out of his flask. "It's about time you showed up."

"Hey man," Mason said.

"Party's out back." He pointed to the screen doors that led to the deck. Mason gave him a nod, letting me walk in front of him as we made our way over.

I slid open the door and stepped through, finding an inviting spot in the corner of the deck - away from the mass that had gathered on the stairs, taking shots out of a handle of crown.

Seth approached me with a shot glass in hand and raised it in the air.

"For a night to remember," he said, passing it in my direction.

I took it from him with no intentions of actually drinking it.

Mason wasn't drinking. Unlike the others who had chipped in $50 each  to rent out a classic black limousine, he was content on driving us to the dance. It was a once in a life time night and he wanted to spend the most of it with me. Just the two of us.

When he made his way back to me, he wrapped his arm around my waist he whispered into my ear.

"Are you ready to go?" He asked. My eyes roamed to the party out back who had now gathered into a circle, chanting the lyrics to Shots by LMFAO.

He couldn't have asked sooner.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I'm ready."

We left Drew's place and pulled up outside of the school within fifteen minutes. Sitting in the parking lot, I surveyed the train of gowns that followed their dates inside, similar to princesses following their princes into a ball.

It was like the stories that were read to you as a child. It was the reason that we spent months worth of our parents' salaries trying to find the perfect dress, and rent out limousines because carriages were no longer in style. We all coveted that special night that Cinderella was lucky enough to have, and this was our version of it. The closest we'd ever get to our happy ever after.

Mason stepped out first to come around to my side of the car. I fastened my clutch and hid it in the glove compartment, because I knew myself.  Since it didn't have a strap, there was a likely chance that I'd lose it before the end of the night.

He opened my door, and extended his arm to me.

Inside, the gym had undergone a complete makeover. Where the bleachers sat, hung a velvet navy curtain. The theme of the dance,  A Parisian Affair.  Students lined up to take photos in front of a mural of the Eiffel tower that shimmered with firefly lights. Above our heads hung a golden canopy, casting an ethereal glow mimicking that of a starry sky on summer night.

By the time Mason and I made it to the front of the line,  Aly and Rachel were standing at the entrance to the gymnasium. I waved my hand in the air to draw their attention, but Aly was swept up by Seth before she could even lay her eyes on me. Rachel shot me a smile, walking with them towards the tables.

I was lucky enough not to run into Chase and Leah so far. Maybe the universe was kind enough to spare me for the night.

Mason positioned himself behind me, and enclosed my waist with his arms.