TWENTY SEVEN

I woke up the Monday morning, startled awake from the buzzing on my nightstand. My eyelids, heavy with sleep, struggled to open as the phone light glared in my face. I rubbed my vision clear and blinked several times to find two missed calls from Chase.

I sat up, and pulled the covers off my body, then redialed his number. For some reason, I was met by his voice message system. I ended the call with a roll of eyes. Must not have been that important.

You called twice, but you couldn't answer when I called back?

I sent the message, and climbed out of bed.

After showering and dressing for the day, I returned back to my phone to find one unread message.

Sorry, was in the shower. Wanted to know if u need a ride?

I tied my hair up into a ponytail before starting a reply.

Yeah sure, I'll let Aly know.

I sent her a quick message, that I wouldn't need her to drive me in, before heading downstairs. As I started brewing a coffee in the Keurig, Aaron appeared beside me.

"Can I have a cup?" he asked, surely knowing the answer already.

"Try again in a few years," I said, ruffling my hand through his hair. He folded his arms.

"Hmpf."

I took a seat on the stool, leaning against the island. He hopped up on the seat beside me.

"When are you getting a car? I hate riding with Mom and Dad. They never play the radio. They just listen to a bunch of boring talk shows."

I chuckled. "When I get my car who says I'm taking you with me?"

"That's what Mom says," he answered with confidence. "You're supposed to drive me and pick me up from school. Except Wednesdays, cause that's practice day."

I cringed. Of course my parents already had a traveling plan put together for me.

"We'll see about that," I told him.

The coffee was ready at the same time that my phone lit up. I hopped off the stool, and started to make myself a cup. Without enough time to find the creamer and extra sugar, I put a cap on the lid, and headed towards the door. I grabbed my bag from around the railing, and walked out.

Chase's truck sat on the curb, headlights lit up.

"Hey," I said, sliding in.

He gave me a slight wave, then placed his hand on the wheel, to turn onto the road.

"So," I said, sipping my bleak coffee. "What made you wanna take me in today?"

"I don't know," he said. "I guess I just wanted a chance to talk since it seems you're busy otherwise."

I bit down on my lip, suddenly aware of what this was about.

"Chase," I started.

"Sorry Kay. I just feel like we don't know what's happening in each others lives anymore. Between my parent's issues, and now Mason showing up at your house...I thought you two broke up?"

"We did. We are."

He glanced over at me.

"Really?" he asked, doubt present within the question.

"Yes."

"Then what was yesterday about?"

"Did you give me ride to talk to me or to interrogate me?"