SIX

I made no inclination to move, my glare daring him to try anything with my friends around. My own boldness would eventually take its toll on me, but for now all he could do was feign a crooked smile.

"So here's where you snuck off to.."

His eyes landed on Rachel in her frenzied state, and he shook his head as a sigh escaped his mouth.

"Should've known," he continued "A little ammonia will take that right out."

Rachel nodded, still wide-eyed from the recent events. Aly sighed and latched onto her arm.

"Come on girl," she led her out of the room and directed a snide comment at me, "I think these two could use a little alone time."

My pulse excelled as a layer of sweat formed over my palms. My eyes refused to meet his gaze, as I stood back against the wall, cowering in the face of my enemy.

"So, where's the beer?"

He asked this question, not in the slightest bit interested in my response. All he craved was the desire of watching me tremble beneath him. This is how he sustained control. The tricks he played with my mind were only a portion of his game as a whole. My voice finally found a way out of my mouth.

"I'm sorry."

He snickered then, tilting his head back as his grey eyes flooded with strange amusement. It was obvious he hadn't awaited my return with his drink. By this point, the alcohol was already fluid in his system, slowly shifting his behavior. He lifted a brow.

"For?"

There was no direct answer to this question. No matter what adorned excuse I fabricated, the result would leave me in the same abused state. Against my better judgement, I deliberately withheld and answer.

He waited, still as a statue, while I mentally pleaded for mercy.

Just walk away.

I could have. If not now, the repercussions would be faced later.

Just as the words were on the tip of my tongue, the door swayed open enough for a girl to peek her blue streaked-head through.

"Oops.." she giggled as her eyes darted between the two of us. "Don't mean to interrupt or anything, but can I borrow the room for a sec."

There was a sly smirk hinting at her pierced lips as she said this, and it didn't take a genius to realize she wasn't alone. Masons attention drifted from me for a split second to face the girl.

"Yeah no problem," his eyes flickered back at me, "We were just leaving."

I nodded my head and stepped out first refusing to allow him the knowledge of his own intimidation. It wasn't until I crossed under the threshold that I granted my mind the sweet sensation of peace. The chains were unlocked and for a mere second I was given the taste of freedom. Shielded in a flood of people, a haven away from his drunken wrath.

"Kay!" He called to me just as Mason's hand wrapped around my wrist. As I looked up to find Chase approaching, Leah was trailing behind him, so I assumed he took my word to go after her. Good.

I tried not to flinch as Mason tightened his grasp. I surveyed Chase's dark hair plastered across his forehead in sweat. His gleaming smile proved that he had obviously taken more than a few rounds on the dance floor.

"So listen," He started, coming to a halt before me. "I'm gonna run Leah home real quick, but I should be back in about ten to fifteen."

I cut my gaze to Leah who stood with her arms pulled across her chest. Her eyes strayed away from the two of us. She on the other hand was obviously out of her element.