5

Peter Pan Theory

"So, what exactly do you do as a graphic designer?" Siani asked, advancing along the road in her orange 4x4 Fiat Panda.

"I do advertising and commercial art."

"Freelance?"

"Mainly, but right now I work for a company." Lyle said while trying to adjust his long legs in the vehicle.

"Do you travel?"

"Yeah, but I haven't lately. I'm in the process of looking for homes in the area."

"Okay. That's been my dream since forever—traveling." She said wistfully. "Where've you been?"

"Ah, Bermuda, Paris, Brazil, Germany—I went to Haiti, too, a year ago with a friend."

"Oh yeah? Which part?"

"Jacmel. Beautiful place."

Siani smiled and nodded in agreement. "It is. My father actually grew up on the southern side of the island."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yup. When I was younger, he, my mother and I would spend a lot of time there. They often traveled a lot—they still do, but whenever they had time that was our little getaway."

"You miss it," He noted.

"Of course, but I'll be back soon after I graduate, so I'm not too sad." She shrugged.

"That's where you want to start your career?" Lyle asked, repressing the slight pang of disappointment he felt.

"Well, I haven't really done much planning regarding my career."

He narrowed his eyes at her.

"I know, I know. Listen, don't look at me like that." She grinned, cutting her eyes at him.

"I'm not judging." He said and she pursed her lips and shot a pointed glance his way. "Okay, maybe a little, but why the delay? Are you having second thoughts? Uncertainties? What?"

"No, nothing like that. I'm going to pursue this for sure. It's just my focus has always been on going back to my family and my boyfriend first. Being out here, I feel like I've missed out on so much." She said, feeling melancholic.

"Well?" He looked at her, waiting for her to continue but she remained silent. "Tell me." He encouraged.

Siani shrugged, not sure how to explain. "Just being with them, reconciling, reuniting, y'know? Ever since I had to leave I've been carrying this heap of regret. Mostly guilt."

"Why?" He asked, his eyes never leaving her view.

"Just because I've always felt like their lives held more restrictions and even fewer opportunities than mine. And with Anel...well, I don't know. That's a whole other story." She sighed.

"We don't really talk much anymore and when we do we argue. It's becoming a chore for me."

She quietly laughed to herself at her last statement because she would've never disclosed that bit of information to Anel himself.

He'd already hinted at severing ties, which was the last thing she thought he would do. Things were rocky with them, a tad rockier than the two had anticipated, but he made a promise to her and she looked for him to keep it because she was indeed committed.

"I've been in a few relationships, but I'm no expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt." Lyle began. "I wouldn't do the long distance thing. I mean, it seems as though you both aren't really happy in your relationship, so, for the sake of salvation, why not mutually depart? Or at least until after you graduate."