10

I Bid You Adieu

It was a last minute decision for Siani to board flight with her cousins. She wasn't sure what would come of this visit nor how Anel would react, but she couldn't let the dust settle just yet. Something inside of her kept nagging to reach out.

She was hurt that Anel hadn't fought for them. Granted, she made a mistake, but if the love was truly there, he would've did anything to keep her. Right?

She didn't want to think he would ever cheat, but during the times while she was alone and her thoughts consumed her, different scenarios played in her head and it made her wonder if he did and if her candor simply made it easy for him to sever ties.

Or maybe their relationship was doomed the moment it became long distance, she wasn't sure, but she didn't want to leave off on a sour note with Anel.

Before the pair became monogamous, they were really good friends.

It was one of the things she hoped they could remain since it was clear that they weren't getting back together. Surrendering to that fact was hard enough.

Advancing along the countryside, gazing outside at upland mountains and miles of vibrant green hills terraced for agriculture, a wave of nostalgia washed over Siani.

She missed it here.

Most outsiders gave this place a bad rep in its entirety; there was no doubt that the nation was deeply flawed.

Due to a long history of political oppression, glaring inequality, lack of knowledge and literacy, many left to seize better opportunities in the states, but in her mind's eye, it was still and always would be a beautiful land.

She was fortunate enough to experience all of the wonderful, majestic things the island had to offer in her nine years of living there and even when she'd visit during the summers.

The untainted beaches, clear waterfalls, the rich culture, and history—she discovered and learned so many things, but there was still a lot of work to be done.

Her father restored a lot of faith and uplifted many spirits because of his tenacity and selfless generosity. Especially after the natural disaster that left thousands without homes and lives taken. It was amazing the things he accomplished given the hand he was dealt.

Growing up in the small village of Port Au Prince with just him and his mother, not having enough money to buy food to eat or pay for trimesters for school and the many other obstacles he faced was a laudable testimony, anyone would be inspired.

And Siani held no shame claiming this side of her father's heritage. It ran through her blood strong and proud.

"The sun won't be up for much longer and you know it's not safe around there when it gets dark," Frantz mentioned from the backseat. She looked out of the window. He was right. The sun was almost touching the rolling mountains in the distance.

Anel wasn't among the small percentage of affluent people that resided there. He wasn't necessarily poor either, but his living conditions were different.

After his home perished from the earthquake and losing his mother, he moved in with his uncle and two cousins. The village he lived in wasn't too shabby, but it was a long way from the gated suburbs that was Pétionville.

She knew today was his off day and he would be going back to work the following afternoon. If she didn't speak with him then, she would have to wait until after graduation and that was months from now.

Siani needed to tell him what was on her heart right then before the proverbial inked dried.

"I'll go with you," Rasheed spoke up.