7

Ever The Gentleman

Once the yard work was complete, Siani asked if Lyle wanted something to drink. He thought she would've wanted him to leave after their fall, but he was internally grateful that she hadn't asked him to.

Siani wasn't sure what to think or how to feel.

Why did her body react that way? She wondered while filling two glasses with chilled lemonade.

It had been a while since she'd been physical with Anel, sure, but she never yearned for his touch or another's.

The dwindling tingle that ran through her body from Lyle's touch had her reeling.

It was an accident.

She hated the way her body responded when she felt the firmness of his frame between her legs and his hands gripping her thighs, the desire in his eyes. It was an overwhelming sensation she'd never experienced and she felt guilty for enjoying it and even in that moment, craving it.

It was in that moment that Rachel's words began to resonate. She was treading in dangerous territory with Lyle and she had to put a stop to it.

"Are you okay?"

Lyle's deep voice grabbed her attention and her tummy clenched. When had his voice become so appealing?

"Yes, I'm okay." She assured, the edge of her mouth lifting into a diffident smile while bringing the frosted glass to her lips, taking a quick sip. "If you want more you can help yourself." She said, referring to the lemonade before turning to place the pitcher into the fridge, mentally reprimanding herself.

Lyle's eyes followed her as she pulled out an assortment of veggies and meats, setting them on the countertop, taking note of her vibe. It was strange and closed off.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Siani paused, then looked over her shoulder before fully turning to face him.

"Yeah. I'm just...tired." She limply shrugged. "I've been up all this morning talking with Anel, hanging with Ray, and trying to finish up chores around the house before I have to go back to school next week, so."

He only nodded.

She sighed, laughing to herself. "I'm sorry."

"Stop that. You're fine." He smiled, looking at the produce behind her. "If you want, I can help you with that. What are you making?"

"My grandmother's food for the week." She said, picking with a stalk of celery. "She can't cook for herself and she won't let Mrs. Yolanda do it, so I have to."

"Well, that sucks."

"Not really. I like cooking, and it's much better than actually caring for her. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my grandma, but she can be a handful."

"Well, I'll help anyway." He offered, rising from his seat. "If that's alright with you."

"Sure, if you want. You can prep." She pushed herself off the counter and grabbed spices and other ingredients from the corresponding cabinets. Siani handed Lyle a knife and cutting board before rinsing off the perishables.

"So, is this supposed to be for Thanksgiving, too?" He wondered, washing his hands after Siani stepped to the side.

She shook her head. "My parents are off the coast celebrating their anniversary and I won't see any relatives until Christmas, so, it's just me and my grandmother."

"You guys are welcome to come over and spend the holiday with my family," He said without hesitation.

Siani smiled, heartened. "That's really sweet, thank you, but she can't leave the house. Plus, I wouldn't want to intrude."