Chapter 27- Absence

Three days past and nothing happened.
Helga came and went as she was required to, often early in the morning and late at night. Sven hadn't said many things of importance to me other than 'stay in the house' it 'you need to eat something'. I hadn't plucked up the courage to ask Helga my questions. Many had been whizzing around in my head and it seemed when ever I thought I had the chance to ask I was overwhelmed and dropped the issue.

It had only been a month since the attack on the village and the way Sven and Helga spoke about the movement of warriors in the centre of the town and the chaos that the village was in.

"Sven, your absence hasn't gone unnoticed" she said from the other room. "Some are questioning your actions during the attack" Sven hums in response. I walk back trough the door way into the light of the fire. Leaning over the fire I warm my self and rub my hands together.
"And what of my brother?" He asks running a hand through his hair.

She shook her head. "He's not kind to your image" she smiles up at me from the wooden chair. "Don't worry Saoirse, we'll get this sorted out"
I give a small smile and look at Sven. Three days of quiet between us and still his creased brow and stormy eyes gaze up at me. I straighten up and roll my eyes at him. I have to see this for myself. I have to help make some sort of move, forward is the only way out of this mess, and, I know that under this light neither of us will escape unscaved from the punishment that the earl will decree.

The winter weather was falling heavily over the land. The early morning skies were splashed with blood, the red warning the earth of forthcoming rain and blustery winds. This morning was different. The air had a bright feeling, a haze of blue in my eyes, the sky icy and cool. Helga had arrived to Sven starting the fire and preparing the utensils for cooking. The day wore on much the same, but as each hour passes the sky grew more grey intone and the wind picked up into low and slow gushes.

Sven had left shortly after preparing the fire, he told me he was going fishing and not to leave the house.
"Can I come with you?" I had asked quietly. He looked at me for a moment before leaving and declining my company.

"I'm going to give thistle water" I say quietly. I didn't give anyone the chance to stop me as I left quickly. Filling up a bucket from the barrel of fresh water that I found at the side of the house, I headed toward the stables. I clutched the cloak and hurried across the dew soaked grass. Struggling with the stables door I stumbled in when I finally got the latch undone. Thistle snorted at me.

"Hi boy" I said caressing his muzzle. I tip the water into the larger vessel. Once I had finished that I glanced over the horses large and magnificent body. Sven had fashioned a coat from old clothes he had. It lay snugly over the horses bulky and muscular frame. Adjusting the fabric I rest my head against the horse's side. Feeling the ins and outs of each breath I soothed myself.

What will come of us? What will the earl do to us. Will Sven be killed or will he banish me and leave me to wander in the wastelands on the windy cliff tops? Or worse, will Sven give me up to the earl and beg for forgiveness and ignore me for ever!? My hearts sinks and I step out into the garden once more. The sun glistening on the top of the lake. I cast my eyes over its glassy surface to see a figure Dressed all in black with tied back dark hair standing on the water. He looks as if he is laughing - or what I can see anyway. I squint to get a better look, taking my eyes off him for a moment and looking back- he is gone. A looming sense of trouble flutters through my heart and makes my breath heave in my chest. There was a low rumbling sound and a symphony of metallic clanging off in the direction of the town. The roads had been empty the last few days, or so Helga had said. I now gazed upon the stony road that lined Sven's territory. Not a soul in sight.

Maybe I should go have a look, what could happen? So I set off down the garden and out onto the road. Helga and Sven aren't doing anything but talking, what this needs is action. Onto the quiet road I pass by equally empty houses, even the animals are quiet. There is an eeriness to the town. I see the houses and buildings rising out of the ground as I walk further from the safety of Sven. The towns people are sparse in the streets and the ones I do encounter are all heading in the same direction.