Chapter 31 ~ child

"You need to tell me about my future" I asked suddenly. I had built nerve up enough to arrive at the mans door and request a reading. Once I had arrived we sat in complete silence. He loomed in the corner of his shrouded home. A smell of burnt wood and smoke heavily hung in the air. The faint aroma of his dried fruits and incense. His cloaked figure, frail looking, leaned against a wooden work bench covered in jars full with herbs and tincture ingredients. His hand shakily rested on a jar of a type of dried deep red-burgundy berry and other browned leaves barely hinted with green.

"Take this" he handed the jar to me. I looked at him incredulously. "Raspberry leaves, dandelion, and nettles, for your health" I study the flower petals and leaves in the container. "What is this for?" I ask cautiously. He gives me a stern yet intrigued look.
My fingers brush off the wise one' hand as we exchange the jar. His skin leathery and ice cold. He inhales harshly and stumbles back ward.

"I see.." he exhales and clasps his head.
"What- what is it?" A cool wash of panic startles me. I instantly wished I hadn't visited. Perhaps not knowing the future is better and now I don't want to know.
"An empty manger, a sobbing mother. A power struggle and a brother  in chains" these words singularly don't mean much to me but when combined how they are, they send shots of measured discord, into my veins with a cold, hard verocisty, I hardly new how to respond. I knew exactly what he meant.

After some time I ask "Who will die?" My voice very shaky and quiet. I received no response, the wise one held his head in the direction of the roof. I asked again. His eyes, from what I could see were closed and his up raised hand was turning in circles from the elbow.
"Wise one! Please tell me- who will die?" I could hardly bear the wait for his answer.
He stood like stone and spoke; his cloaked and shadowed face tilted in my direction. "A child"
I must have looked so confused and frightened. I felt the blood drain from my face and and my grip on the jar tighten.  A child, who's? How old? In what way will this child die? From all my questions I truly needed to know one thing;
"How am I linked to this death?"
"I must rest, I am exhausted. Such power ... such immense tragedy" he began muttering to himself. 

"Please! You can't leave me in the dark! You must tell me more!"
He turns his hooded face to me and says nothing. Quietening me.
Feeling unsure and a little frightened I all but ran home. As I weaved my way through the people and along the streets I examined the jars contents. Glancing up I noticed woman watching me unnerved, only having passed by her briefly I only identified her expression as disgusted.
I hid the jar under my arm and sped home. I needed the comfort of Sven's bed. Ultimately I needed him, to tell him what the seer had said. And to ask him to help this child.
As I came through the busy part of the village at a quick walk, avoiding crowded roads and the eyes of people I passed. It was when I began to quicken my pace, when I was no more that two hundred steps away from the house did I see Helga at the gate.

"Helga" I sob. I fling my arms over her shoulders and around her neck in a hug. She immediately tried to coaxed me and calm my sudden hysterics.
"Ooh now sweetheart" she soothed. "What's wrong?" She asked. I could hardly hear her through my own cries.
"I don't know"
Helga had taken me into the house and sat me down on the chair. She stoked up the fire.

~*~
The journey over the water was short, earl Agnarr's land was shorter distance by water. Had we committed our warriors to a trek across the ground we would be facing a two week pilgrimage.
This attack, waging of war, would need meticulous planning and fore thought. Thankfully my father had sent out our bravest warriors ahead of our arrival. They've spent weeks preparing for our arrival, ever since my fathers grand announcement. I wasn't sure how long we'd spend here. I knew my father, who I now watched from my bench on the boat, my father would want this to be quick but painful.
I rowed with gusto, heaving and howling our songs of plunder and good fortune. I couldn't tell how long we'd been out on the water, only a couple of hours, long enough to no longer see the shores of home but close enough for me to imagine jumping into the ocean and desperately fighting my way back home.

My mind  wandered to a image of my heads creation. Saoirse, in our home smiling and waving. The colours vibrant and bursting with life. Suddenly the colours faded and the image was doused  in grey. Opening my eyes to the grey of the sky and the metal look of the sea. I fought myself all last night and this morning. I battled my desire to stay home with her. But while she has become very important to me. My duty to my homeland and my father called my attention with such force it left me no choice.
At least I'd have the memories of our last night together to get me though.

"Push men! We will be there by sun down two days from now!" My fathers voice called over the ocean wind. He stood at the front of the boat, he had a throne placed there for him to preside over us as we slaved away for him. I guess not being next in line for the earldom didn't give me any special treatment. I bet Destin is impatient for the chance to rub it in my face. I can only imagine the state our territory will be in under my brothers rule. Such a strange thought for me as my own reputation has destroyed many women.
And for whom was thought to be the one capable of immense chaos if left to lead people.

"He won't have much of a face left if he tries anything, his boastfulness will be the end of him" I mutter under my breath. Gritting my teeth through the sea foam and spray as a wave swelled. As much as I wished for Home I wished harder to reach our destination, and then return home victorious.
~*~

Gritting my teeth impatiently I look at Helga inspecting the jar.
"What is the mixture for?" I ask my patience wearing thin. "Helga please! The seer has made me worry"

"What did he tell you?" She asks suddenly. I looked at her hesitantly. Uneasy and unsure of telling her, I think her reaction has the potential to scare me much more.
"He- he said that a child will die and mentioned a power struggle" Helga studied my eyes as if my face would give her any more clues.
"Let me brew you a cup of this" she turned to a pale of water and popes some into a small cauldron. Then tipping a handful of the jars contents into the water says "a cup every morning okay?" She looks at me expectantly. "It's important for you... well, the two of you" she placed emphases on the 'two'

"What are you suggesting?" I ask my voice turning a little harder than I anticipated. I grip the jar by the rim and glance over the contents.
It dawned on me, how could I not have instantly figured out that the seer knew about this 'child'  because the child would be mine. I intuitively place a hand on my stomach and looked at Helga.
"My child"