Chapter 2

"And it's you and me and all of the people, and I don't know why, I can't take my eyes off of you."

-You And Me, Lifehouse

Charles counted the stones of his cell wall for what seemed like the hundredth time that day. If they don't kill me soon, I'm sure to die of boredom, he thought. The only interesting part of his day had been Honora's visit that morning which had been much too brief for his liking. She had brought him bread, some potatoes, and a bit of ale for breakfast – a feast given his current predicament. She had stayed to exchange pleasantries and change his bandages but had to scurry back upstairs soon after so as her absence would not be noticed. As much as he berated himself for craving human interaction he could not fight the draw he felt to her. She was the embodiment of warmth, from her chestnut hair and chocolate brown eyes to her gentle touch and silvery voice. Her tenderness permeated his very being and stirred in him feelings he thought long dead. Something about her presence made him feel calm and, dare he say, safe. However there was an equally powerful part of him that ached to protect her – her nonchalance at her father's actions told him that she was not unused to violence. And Charles remembered her words the previous evening - It gets fairly cold down here at night – and shuddered at the prospect of how she acquired that knowledge. But despite his instincts something told Vane that Honora would be perfectly capable of protecting herself given a fair fight. The girl's eyes betrayed none of her potential misfortunes and instead displayed only kindness and steely resoluteness. It took a great deal to surprise Charles Vane but this girl had done it. He had never met someone, particularly someone so young, that understood the world was an unfair and cruel place yet managed to find it in their heart to be caring and warm. And she isn't hard on the eyes either. Vane would be lying if he didn't admit to himself that he would give up half his loot for a few days, and nights, alone with her. Yet somehow, he wanted more from this girl. He wanted to ask her questions that he had never asked anyone before – about her life, her thoughts, her dreams. My god, a beautiful woman shows you the least bit of kindness and you're already going soft, he thought shaking his head. But his attempt at self-reprimand was half-hearted at best and was soon interrupted by the sound of someone starting down the stairs.

Charles immediately stood, ready for another go with his unexpected visitor, but relaxed considerably when he realized it was none other than the subject of his musings.   

"Back again so soon?"

She simply smiled and held up a glass bottle filled with a pale cream, "Salve for your back."

Taking the keys and unlocking his cell door, Honora slipped inside closing the door behind her.

"So how do you want me?" Charles asked, with an innuendo-filled smirk. However, as Charles predicted, nothing fazed his visitor.

Honora smiled knowingly and gestured to the bench where she had tended his wounds only hours prior, "On the bench. Facedown."

Charles complied, resting his chin on his hands and crossing his ankles in the air. Meanwhile Honora sat down on the ground beside him and uncorked the bottle of salve.

"This should help with healing. Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to sew you up myself and something tells me my father wouldn't allow me to run out and find a doctor," she explained sarcastically as she began to apply the cool balm to his back.

Charles normally would have been ready with an equally sarcastic reply, however he was fairly certain that he might pass out at any moment. The cooling effect of the salve felt amazing against the gashes that had been burning since they were first inflicted. The pirate couldn't suppress the moan that passed his lips as his body relaxed into the ointment and into Honora's gentle yet insistent touch. This must be what heaven feels like, Charles thought. It's too bad I'll never see it.