Chapter 9

"It's no more mystery. It is finally clear to me. You're the home my heart searched for so long. And it is you I have loved all along."

-It Is You (I Have Loved), Dana Glover

Turning over and burying her face in the amazingly plush pillows, Honora opened a single eye and peeked at her bedfellow. Over the past few days onboard The Ranger she had discovered many things about the fearsome pirate captain. He knew the life story of practically every person on his ship, from those who swabbed the deck to his quartermaster. When given the choice, Vane would much rather be out on the deck, working with his men, than relaxing in his cabin. Smiling was rare – unless it was directed at her or Jack. And most pertinent to her current situation, Charles looked most relaxed when he was deep in sleep beside her.

Sadly, this peaceful interlude didn't last for long

Sadly, this peaceful interlude didn't last for long. Just as Honora was about to take a cue from Vane and go back to sleep, a harsh knock resounded on the cabin's doors.

"Captain! We need you out here! NOW!"

Charles' eyes shot open as he scrambled out of bed. Honora started looking around for her clothes as Vane rushed out the door. I don't think I've ever seen him move that fast, she thought as Honora headed for the deck herself. However, before she reached the door, Charles burst back in.

"Honora, stay in here. And don't come out, whatever you may hear!"

"What?" she questioned desperately, "What's going on?"

"I'm not entirely sure myself. Just stay hidden!"

As soon as he had appeared he was gone again and Honora fought the intense urge to run out onto the deck to see what was happening. But, determined to follow Vane's insistent directions she could do nothing but sit on the bed and hope whatever was about to unfold was harmless and swift.

For a few moments, everything was deadly silent. She couldn't even hear the usual footsteps of the men. It must be another ship. Nothing else would command their attention in this way. Suddenly, Honora heard the familiar sound of boots jumping onto the deck followed by light steps – much too light to belong to Charles' crew. Anxious and desperate to comprehend the situation, Honora walked over and stood in front of the cabin doors, straining to hear through the wood.

"Captain Charles Vane, it's about time that we met, don't you agree?"

"That would depend. Who the fuck are you?"

Honora had to stifle a laugh at his bluntness. This idiot has no idea who he's dealing with.

"Lieutenant Carpenter. My direct superior is Commander Bolton and it would appear that you've taken something that belongs to him."

Hearing Bolton's name made her blood run cold. "Something that belongs to him" – I am not an object and I belong to no one. She couldn't believe that he sent his lackeys to chase after her. He has no claim on me whatsoever, although is arrogance is sadly unsurprising.