Chapter 5

"Fight fear for the selfish pain, it was worth it every time."

-Clarity, Zedd

As the sun began to sink in the sky, Honora grabbed her small bag of necessities that she had packed earlier that day and left her quarters for what she hoped was the last time. She and Charles had agreed to disregard supper that night as they both had much more important things on their minds. It had been two days since she had told him of Jack Rackham's supposed visit and Charles felt that if Jack were to attempt a rescue, then tonight was the night. Honora was practically buzzing with excitement over the prospect while Charles seemed unusually calm. He's probably preparing himself for disappointment. But she couldn't afford to think like that. This may be her only chance to rid herself of this place and this station in life and by God, she wasn't going to give up hope that easily. She had given a great deal of thought to what tonight would mean if Rackham did in fact rescue his captain. Honora hoped sincerely that Charles planned to keep her with him, but he could just as easily drop her off at the next port. Surely, after all we've shared with each other...she thought. I'm getting ahead of myself. One thing at a time.

As Honora reached the bottom of the staircase, of which she had come to know every step personally, she noticed that Charles was pacing. Shaking her head, she let herself into his cell and leans against the grating, watching him.

"You'll wear a hole in the floor," she warns.

"Did you bring the bag?"

Honora holds up her makeshift luggage knowingly, "Everything is going to be fine."

"Easy for you to-" Charles starts before he's cut off by an explosion.

"Is that him?" she questions.

"It must be."

The next moments passed in silence as the pair barely breathed for fear of missing some cue. However, soon the explosion was followed by the sound of the manor's doors being beaten in. The sound of ransacking and running filled the air as Honora's heart began to beat faster. Even though she had dreamed of this night, the reality of the situation was more potent than she had expected. Charles slowly moved over to her and positions himself between Honora and the stairway.

"Can't have them mistaking you for someone else, can we?" he asks lightheartedly.

It was then that Honora realized that she was finally glimpsing the true Charles Vane. Before he had merely been a prisoner, but now he was truly in his element – and she was out of hers. She cursed herself for jumping at the sudden noises, for the sweat that made her dress feel cumbersome and constricting. I understand now why pirates wear so few clothes. As the rabble grew closer and closer, she noticed Vane grow taller and, if at all possible, more imposing. Just when she was about to comment on his sudden change in disposition the door to the dungeon's staircase flew open. Despite herself Honora gasped as Charles tilted his head in an effort to see the figure responsible. As she peered around his large frame, she spotted two brown boots making their way, almost carefully, down the steps. Soon enough two legs came into view, then a gun belt embossed with pearls holding a blunderbuss, then a shirt of purple, green and red layered with a expertly tailored coat. The most well dressed pirate I've ever seen. As the figure finally came into the light Honora knew that she must be looking into the face of the infamous Jack Rackham.

"Charles," Rackham greeted, his modulated voice a contrast to Vane's gravelly tone.

"Fuck you, Jack."