Chapter 7

"As we soared above the town that never loved me, I realized I finally had a family."

-Lost Boy, Ruth B.

As Charles laid in bed, rocked by the gentle swell of the waves beneath the ship, he sighed contentedly. For the past few moments he had been staring at the cascade of caramel waves that graced his pillows. Unable to contain a smile, Vane thanked whatever deity was responsible for his recent change of fate. As Honora breathed evenly, still deep in sleep, Charles took the chance to stretch his stiff muscles. Not as stiff as they used to be, though. In truth after all those nights spent in that cell he found himself the slightest bit rusty. Although, the past hours spent with Honora in his cabin had certainly done wonders to relieve some of his built-up tension. Charles smiled as he thought about the irony behind his current situation. He had been with numerous women – yet, the one with the least experience was the one he couldn't get enough of. If it were possible, I'd never leave this bed again. The previous night had been one of the best in his life and Vane was eager to savor the moment for as long as possible. No one had ever given themselves to him so fully, so selflessly before. Honora had so much to lose by allowing him to take her innocence yet she hadn't even hesitated. Charles Vane certainly wasn't one to throw around the word "love" but his heart knew he was beginning to have feelings for this woman, even if his mind didn't understand them yet. Turning back to his new lover, he noticed her starting to stir and sat up, resting his forearms on his knees.

"Morning," Honora said cheerily as she rolled over to face Charles.

"Morning," Charles answered with a smile. "Sleep well?"

"Better than I have in years," she said.

"Well," Vane began as he climbed out of bed and started to get dressed, "today's a big day. I'll introduce you to the rest of the crew, start teaching you how to protect yourself."

"You'll teach me?" Honora asked as she began to dress herself with the clothes Charles had acquired for her the previous night.

"I'm afraid not, love. But we'll find someone."

As she walked over to him, the pair shared a kiss before Vane opened the ornate double doors. As Honora set foot on The Ranger's deck for the second time she was visibly amazed at the hustle and bustle of the crew. Charles smiled as he slung an arm over her shoulders and began to point out members of the crew. She listened intently to each name and job description. Finally, Vane pointed to the two most important members of his crew, standing side by side per usual.

"You've already met Jack, and that's Anne Bonny."

"Are they

"Are they...married?" Honora asked innocently.

Charles let out another boisterous laugh despite himself. When he noticed that she was looking at him, utterly confused, he reigned in his amusement.