Chapter 6

"I'm falling even more in love with you. Letting go of all I've held onto."

-Hanging By A Moment, Lifehouse

As soon as the doors closed behind them, Charles tossed Honora onto the large, ornate bed in the middle of his quarters. She let out a giggle as she bounced from the impact, still drunk on the energy of their earlier escape. Barely having time to observe her surroundings, Honora found herself mesmerized by Vane's nearly predatory gaze. As he shrugged out of his shirt and tugged off his boots, she realized that she was falling behind and subsequently kicked her shoes to the floor. While Vane began to make his way up the bed, Honora realized that she had no earthly idea what she was doing. This is one area where false bravado will do me absolutely no good. As Charles finally came to idle directly over her and began to lower his face to hers, Honora finally placed a gentle, yet insistent hand on his chest.

"Charles, wait."

"What's wrong?" he asked, looking concerned.

"Nothing. It's only that – well, I have no idea what I'm doing," she answered shyly.

"How could I forget," Vane began with a smile, not of mockery but understanding. "Here, let's take a few steps back."

Charles climbed off the bed and held a hand out, which Honora gratefully took. Then as the two stood before each other she couldn't help but lower her gaze to his muscular torso. Chiseled from years of hard physical labor, his lean frame captivated her compared to the paunchy bureaucrats she had grown up around.

"Appreciating the view?"

She laughed nervously and looked up into his eyes, shocked at what she found there. No man has ever looked at me that way, as though he wanted to devour me whole. Vane took her face in his hands and kissed her as he had done mere moments ago. As he deepened the kiss slowly, which she was sure for her benefit, he ran his hands gently down her arms. As his hands found her hips and pulled her closer, his lips began to wander. Honora gasped as Charles started to press incessant, teasing kissed down her jaw and neck while her hand came up to thread through his hair. She could feel him smile against her at the gesture as her other hand rested against his back. He placed one final kiss to her lips as he pulled back to look into her eyes. Honora's mind was putty as Vane reached around and started to undo the buttons of her gown. As her senses returned to her, she began to help him in his task. Soon the bodice loosened and Honora slid out of her dress as it fell to a pool around her feet, leaving her in nothing but her corset and underclothes. The captain took her hands as led her back to the bed where they had begun their tryst minutes before. Vane then climbed on and laid down amongst the pillows, still holding one of Honora's hands in his.

Charles tugged gently on her hand, encouraging her to climb onto the bed herself. Honora, as gracefully as she could, sat beside him but was soon aware that this was not what Vane had in mind. Smiling, he grabbed her waist and hoisted her up so that she was straddling his middle. Sitting her down, Charles looked into her eyes, which now held as much lust as his.

"Feel any better?" he asked huskily.

Honora simply nodded, biting her bottom lip.

"Good. Now how about we finish getting you undressed."

With a mischievous smile, Honora set to work unlacing her bodice as Vane watched in anticipation.