eyelids // pvris

I get up off the couch after letting my hair air dry. I decided against watching tv or sit on my phone and I just relaxed and listened to music. Maybe I let my eyes close a little. I walk into the little kitchen to check the time to see that it was already noon. I check my phone to see that Jess had texted me already, telling me to meet her there at 1. Her and I have been texting all morning and a little bit last night. This morning has only been so much as to asking how each other were and when to meet and events of last night.

"Sorry I had to leave so sudden. My parents don't like me being out late." She texts me after I texted her telling her that it was me.
"It's alright. You live with your parents still? I mean, I'm not trying to sound rude. I still sorta live with my dad. I mean, he pays for the house I live in. And I'm 21." I text back. Then I get a facetime call from my brother. I answer it.
"Hello?"
"Hey. How's San Fran?" He grins. I roll my eyes, grinning. "Wow you're actually smiling. Who did you meet already?" He asks. I just shake my head laughing.
"I didn't meet anyone, Alex. I'm just in a good mood." I sigh, smiling. Wait, why am I all giddy? I have no reason to be, so why am I?
"Sure you didn't. Tell me." He says. My phone vibrates, and I go to the texts between Jess and I. "Who are you texting?" Alex asks as I read her text.
"Yeah, I am too and I'm home from college for the summer. My parents still think they control me." I frown, texting back.
"That's stupid." I type and then I get interrupted by Alex.
"So? Who are you texting, Madi?" He asks.
"Dad." I answer shortly, continuing the text. "You're an adult, you should be able to do what you want." I hit send and I hear Alex in the background.
"Dad are you texting Madi?" He asks dad.
"No, why?" He responds in the background. I go back to the facetime screen to see Alex with a smirk on his face.
"Who are you texting Madi?" He smirks.
"Nobody you know. It's this girl I-"
"Oh of course it is." He pauses. "Dad I told you she was into girls."
"Oh shut up! I am not!" I frown.
"Yes you are." He smiles. "You like the girl you're texting. You're all blushy and giddy."
"I don't, like her, Alex. She's a girl I met tonight while I went to see the bridge. She talked to me first. She just wants to show me around town."
"More like show you to her house." Alex smirks.
"Alex!" I yell and I hear dad yell at the same time, scolding him.
"Let your sister be, Alex." He sighs.
"Alright. I guess I'll let you go." Alex frowns. "Have fun with that gi-" He says and I just hang up. I get another text from Jess.
"Yeah. I know. I guess they just don't like me out super late. I'm going to go to bed. I'll see you tomorrow, Madi. Goodnight." She texts.
"Aright. Goodnight, Jess." I text back. I crawl into bed, falling asleep not long after.

I walk up to our spot seeing nobody there but her. I smile, walking up to her.
"Hey, Jess." I smile. She turns quickly, smiling back.
"Good to see you here, finally. I don't necessarily like being here by myself." She hugs me. I tense up slightly, but then relax as I familiarize myself with her gentle touch.
"So where do you want to take me first?" I ask.
"Well, since we aren't too far from the bridge, just a couple of blocks, we could go onto the bridge to see the view from there? And then after, I'll take you to my favorite cafe for lunch. If that's okay with you." She smiles. I nod, following her to the bridge. When we finally make it to about a third of the way on the bridge, I get a little wary of why we are here. Is she going to throw me over all of a sudden? Is that why we came here first or what? As I stare out at the land in front of me, contemplating death and fearing death at the same time, Jess puts her hand over mine, which is currently gripping the edge. I look at her, and her face goes from content to worried the second she looks into my eyes. I catch the glimpse of her bright blue eyes and I just ease myself. I'm not gripping the railing of the bridge, I'm not freaking out, I feel welcomed and safe. Jess smiles at me, noticing my tenseness relaxing. "It's okay. I used to be afraid to walk on this bridge too. Well, when I was younger." She giggles slightly, taking my hand. I smile, letting her guide me. "We're almost to my favorite spot. It has the best view." She says, leading me to about half way down the bridge. It took at least 10 to 15 minutes total since we stepped foot onto the bridge, but it was worth it. It was smack dab in the middle of the bridge and you could see down stream and into the land ahead. It was the most breath taking view I've had this whole vacation. You could see the city and just about everything. I look down at the river below us to see how blue the water was. It was beautiful. I notice a green ribbon tied around the rail and an engraving on the ledge to see that there was a name and a date. Aiden - June 5, 2035. I run my fingers over the engraving which looked like it had been made by a key and had been gone over at least a hundred times.
"Hey, Jess. Look at this." I say, fascinated by the engraving. It was so surreal to see something that someone had engraved during their last hours of life. Jess just nods, smiling.
"Yeah. I've seen that there before. It was probably someone named Aiden who had jumped from this spot 5 years ago yesterday. It's sad. I don't see a lot of those since they don't allow families to decorate jump sites since this bridge would be covered in them and it'd ruin a beautiful bridge." She practically mocks the possible words of the city workers. She rolls her eyes. "But, I have seen people put ribbons. Like, they'll tie a ribbon to jump sites. Not many people do that though. It's very rare to find the victim's belongings left at the spot since they tend to not leave a trace that they left this world." She sighs, running her fingers over the engraving. "It's sad." She says blankly. She then seems to snap out of whatever trance she was in. "Alright! Let's head on back to go to lunch." She smiles, I just smile back, continuing the day with her.