The Dance

March

    It was March 12th, the day of the dance. This was going to be my first dance with a date, before I used to just go with friends who'd usually ditch me after a while so I was guessing this time would be the best.

    At six thirty my mom dropped me off at my friend Cassie's house so she could do my hair and I'd finish my makeup. When I got there she was waiting outside and I smiled shyly at her. I followed her through the house with my hand on my backpack, packed with makeup, my dress, and a pair of black wedged heels.

    I took a seat on a chair in her backyard near the table where she had the curling wand. We talked for a little bit, waiting for the wand to warm up. She asked me if I was excited and I said yes. I still wasn't okay with the idea of wearing a dress AND heels. Sol has never seen me in those two things. He has also never seen me with curly hair so I was nervous about that too.

    After the wand was burning, Cassie picked it up and told me to move my chair forward and began curling. She almost dropped it a couple times and that made me nervous but it was funny. When she finished she showed me to the bathroom and I changed my outfit. I struggled to remove my shirt without messing up the curls and putting the little dress on without flattening them.

    Once I had everything smoothed out and my curls back to being bouncy, I put my shoes on and crept my way out.

    "Oh my goodness! You look so pretty!" Cassie looked at me up and down. The dress was slim and black and it hugged at my body. It had short sleeves and there were two dips at the neck area: the bigger one was a wide rectangle and the other was in the middle of that but was a low dropped V that showed a little cleavage. There were two thin straps covering that area in an X shape that I thought were pretty. I looked to the ground, grabbed my other arm and smiled.

    "Shut up." I laughed. She laughed with me.
    "Seriously though. Now go back in so we could finish your makeup." She gently pushed me back into the bathroom.

    When she finished I called my mom and we headed to Subway. I picked up a six inch for me and a six inch for Sol.

    It was 7:30. My car pulled into the drop off near the cafeteria where the dance was being held and I got of. I took my time walking through the gate onto the campus, fearing I came too early and before Sol. I walked near a pillar holding the front of the cafeteria up and waited for Sol. I hope nobody looks at me, I thought to myself. Just then I saw movement in the side of my eye and looked to see that it was Sol, walking out of the bathroom. I looked at what he was wearing: hightop adidas, black jeans, a white button up, and a black tie. I looked at his face last and then I was complete. He looked stunning and my lips broke into a smile. I saw him before he saw me which was good and when he saw me he started walking towards me.

    "Hi." I said awkwardly and smiled again.
    "Hello." He responded. I gave him his ticket and we walked into the cafeteria together.

    Once we got inside we took a seat at a table. I gave Sol his subway as I began to unwrap mine. When we finished with those we got up and danced to a couple of slow songs. After a while we sat down again but instead of at the table we were at, we took a seat on the benches rested against the wall in the back of the cafeteria. I was then going through my phone after taking pictures of Sol and I accidentally stumbled upon a picture of my old guy friend who had a crush on me, leaning on me and smiling. I've been too lazy to delete any pictures and that got me in trouble. Once I saw it, I knew my immediately laziness was a mistake. What have I done? I thought to myself, I ruined everything.

He was silent throughout the rest of the dance and I kept asking him what was wrong giving him a chance to tell me but he didn't. When it was my time to leave, I told him that I loved him and I left.

He didn't text me until later that night. After he told me what was wrong I felt like complete shit. Just the fact that I, I was too lazy to do one thing that could have prevented all of this from happening. Now he thought that I had feelings for Ronnie just because I was too lazy to delete one picture. But I didn't.

When the conversation ended, I hated myself more than I have in a long while. I didn't know what to do with myself. I really wanted to escape myself or at least distract myself for a while. I wanted to breathe. After long hours of resistance, I finally gave in.

And the blades proceeded to kiss my skin.