5.

The next day I made sure I got to my math class early in hopes of seeing him again for a while before the queen B showed up.

To my surprise, when I walked in a full 10 minutes early, Garrett was already seated in his desk. We exchanged smiles and I went to have a seat in my desk next to him.

"Good morning." He greeted me.

"It's morning." I replied. "I don't know about the good part."

He smiled his easy smile and rolled his eyes. "Was your old school really all that much better than here?" He asked.

I had to stop myself from laughing in his face. Of course my old school was better. Any school on the planet is probably better than this place. "Have you ever noticed that the classrooms all smell like moldy cheese?"

"You're impossible." He laughed.

I shrugged my shoulders and propped my converse covered feet on the desk in front of mine. "Why are you here so early?" I asked.

His facial expression changed ever so slightly. "I just needed to get out of my house." He told me.

"I totally understand that." I explained. "My mom and dad drive me crazy. I get out of there as soon as I wake up, and avoid them like the plague when I get home."

Garrett looked over to me and his eyes seemed sad. "I wish it were that easy for me." He muttered. "There is no hiding from them at my house."

"I'm sorry." Something about the way he spoke and the look he had told me that his life is probably not as charmed as people around here think. Having money and looks doesn't automatically lead to being happy, despite what people think. "You can come hide at my house anytime you want. I could use the distraction."

The sadness seemed to leave him instantly. "I'm sure Carrianne would love that." He smiled. "That alone would almost be worth doing it. I may take you up on that one day." He glanced over to me while I pulled out my notebook and pencil. "Can you draw people?" He asked suddenly.

I chewed on the tip of the eraser. "I bet I could draw you." I said cockily. "I'm actually only any good at drawing people. Anything else is just practice."

"Where did you come from?" He asked with his eyes narrowed oddly.

"Um, well when two people who love each other very much and get married..." I couldn't finish for my laughing at my own joke.

Garrett's perfect blue eyes seemed to dance. "You know what I mean loser."

"Santa Barbra, California." I answered seriously.

Garrett tapped his pen on his desk. "Were all the people there like you?"

I looked at him confused. "What do you mean? Were they awesome like I am?"

He laughed nervously. "I guess that was an odd question."

"A little." I agreed and then changed the subject. "Where did you come from? You know, after the whole two people in love part."

"Here." He said.

"I heard you had just moved here a few years ago."

He nodded his head once then cleared his throat. "Oh yeah, right I moved here from Kentucky."

"What the heck was in Kentucky?" I joked.

"Not much." He replied quickly.

I guess whatever is in Kentucky he doesn't want to talk about it. There was a moment of weird silence and then my phone buzzed on my leg.