29.

"Garrett!" I shouted into the phone to no one. "Oh my god, Garrett!"

There were tears streaming from my eyes and my fingers shook as I tried three different times to dial 9-1-1 before I stopped myself.

That wouldn't do any good, I had to keep reminding myself. The people I am dealing with are not the type who can be taken down by the police. I stood up and began pacing the small area, holding Garrett's photo in my hand. I tried not to look at it, but I kept doing it anyway.

I never should have left things with him the way that I had. Sure we have some issues, but he was a friend...more than a friend...I can't believe I just left without even telling him goodbye. You'd think after everything I have been through, including my regrets over my last moments with Stephen, that I would hold onto the people who are important to me a little better, but obviously I've learned nothing.

My chest was aching for him. "It's ok, Garrett...It's going to be ok, Garrett." I repeated in my head over and over. I haven't ever been able to send a thought further than another room before, but I willed it with all my heart and soul to reach him. I never should have left.

I was trying to draw strength from deep within my core. I need to figure something out. I quickly dialed Wes's number and paced impatiently for him to answer. "Hello?" His voice filled my ear finally.

"Oh my god, Wes, thank god they don't have you too." I said.

"I'm sorry," He said. "I don't understand."

"It's Garrett!" I shouted urgently. "They have him!"

"Just try to calm down." Wes said calmly.

"I can't be calm! Those people have Garrett! Who knows what they will, or have already done, to him? You have to tell me what to do!"

I heard him take an exasperated breath. "Cadence, darling." He said slowly. "I don't understand what you are saying." He paused again. "Garrett is right here with me, dear. Nobody has him or has done anything to him."

I was dumbfounded by his words. "No." I whispered in confusion. "No, someone called and told me that they have him."

"Well, I am telling you he is right here."

"I want to hear his voice."

I let out the breath I'd been holding and my anxiety lightened when I heard his warm light voice come on. "Cade, what's going on? I am fine. I was so confused when I got your message."

"You could hear me?" Even in the middle of all this chaos, I was a little proud of myself for having done that at such a distance.

"Yes, now you're on speaker, tell us what happened exactly." Garrett told me.

"A man called," I began to explain. "He was one of the men who was in my house the other night. I recognized his voice, and he told me that he had taken Garrett." I told them. "Garrett, I am so sorry we fought and that I left without saying goodbye. Please forgive me for that." I needed him to know, just in case something did happen.

"Cade, don't even worry about it. You were right and I-." Garrett's words were cut off by Wes's urgent warning.

"Cadence! Leave the phone there and go! Now!" He yelled. "They only said those things to keep you on the phone long enough to track you. They'll be coming for you there. They must have known you left. Get out of there. Go!"

I dropped my phone where it was, grabbed my converse from beside the bed and took off running out of my room. I got to the elevator and saw that it said it was on it's way up already. I ditched the elevator and hightailed it to the stairs and ran as fast as I could to get to Derrek's room. When I reached his floor, I started to turn the corner when I saw two big guys, dressed very sharply, coming from Derrek's room. I cut back around the corner and waited until I heard them get onto the elevator and I was sure they were gone.