39.

We got away from town as quickly as possible.

Carrianne had known the code to get into Charles's safe at the house, so we were doing well on money. I knew we couldn't run for long. One by one they were picking people off that The Order knew we would come to, and eventually we will be caught.

A new thought hit me like a ton of bricks falling directly on my chest. "Derrek!" I shouted his name. "We need to find Derrek."

"Derrek from school?" Carrianne asked confused. "Why do we need him?"

Garrett turned his head toward Carrianne. "It's kind of a long story." He grumbled to her. I could tell the mention of Derrek had put him in a mood, but I didn't have time to worry about his wounded ego. I need to know that my friend is alright.

"Ok, so call him." Carrianne told me.

I groaned out. "I don't remember his number. It was saved in my phone, but my phone is back in Florida."

"Why?" Carrianne asked in her confused tone again.

"For the love of god, Carrianne, I can't explain every little thing to you." I snapped at her.

She huffed back in her seat and crossed her arms. "It was just a freaking question." She shot back. "You know, you aren't the only one going through this now. Garrett and I are both here in the same jam as you, and the people that we love are in just as much danger as you are, so how about you just shove your attitude up your-."

"Carrianne!" Garrett silenced her. "We are all stressing out, ok?" He said more evenly. "Us tearing each other's heads off isn't going to do us a single ounce of good. We've got to be smart about this. You need to ditch your phone, they'll track it." He told her. "We've got to get somewhere safe, and come up with a plan. Do either of you have any ideas?"

Carrianne still had her eyes narrowed at me, but she unfolded her arms and pouted her bottom lip out. "A hotel? Far enough out of town that they won't look for us?"

Garrett opened his mouth to answer her but I cut him off. "I don't want to go anywhere until we find Derrek." I said firmly.

Garrett glanced over at me and sighed, putting his hand on my knee. "Ok." He relented. "But how are we going to do that? He lives next door to my house. I'm sure they've got people watching it. Hell, my dad is probably on the lookout for you."

I ran my hands through my hair searching for the answer.

"What about the back path?" Carrianne said suddenly.

Garrett's face cracked with a smile. "Yes! Care, that's a great idea."

"What are you two talking about?" I asked them.

"The house I live in now used to be Wes's house. When he got in trouble with The Order for refusing to conform, he moved out and my family moved in." Garrett told me.

"Yeah," Carrianne said. "Garrett and I were both from Kentucky before, but Garrett moved here for the new house, and because I think Dalton secretly wants to be part of The Order, even though there is like no way they'd ever let him join because of his humungous temper, but anyway, they moved here, so of course my mom insisted that we move here too. She couldn't stand the thought of Garrett finding some other girl and forgetting about me back home, funny how that backfired on her." She giggled. "Anyway, after I moved here Garrett and I found this secret path that leads right into his backyard! He used to use it to sneak out and meet me at Founder's Park. Back when we were actually friends."

"The kiddy park in the center of town?" I asked. They both nodded their heads. "You think that'll work?" I asked Garrett.

"I think so." He nodded. "It's been years since I've used it, but as long as it's still there it shouldn't be hard. The back of Derrek's property isn't fenced, so we should be able to sneak right up from behind."