Prologue

Two days after the end of camp, 2013

Castiel and Gabriel Novak drove away from the campsite like Dean and Sam Winchester had done two days before.

One month after the end of camp, 2013

John Winchester took Dean and Sam's phones in case of communicating to their friends. He said it was for their own good, saying long distance relationships never worked anyway, having recognized the look in both their eyes as heartbreak.

Dean yelled and argued. Sam slowly realized that Gabriel hadn't gave him the ability to talk again, but instead it was only around Gabe that he could. So he let the silence back.

John felt bad, but knew if they tried to keep the relationship as long distance, something would go wrong and it would only hurt more. He wasn't exactly wrong there.

They had to move away for John's work. Erasing any hope the Novak's had of finding them.

~~

Castiel had done research into the Winchester's, and had found barely anything on how they could talk to them. The phone number Dean had given him while saying don't get your hopes up was out of order. Same for Sam's phone number.

Gabriel was starting to act strange. He would ignore any mention of the Winchester's and started spending every moment of his time doing something else, good or bad. Mostly bad.

Cas refused to give up.

Five months after the end of camp, 2013

Dean would shout, yell and curse at everything he could. John was still paying for Dean's home and food, and he didn't have enough money to get his own house. He'd tried and failed to get custody over Sam, and there was no way he was going to take off over the country without his little brother.

Cas was still trying. He never gave up. Not a day went past where he wouldn't think of the summer, and try to find some way, anyway to find them again.

Gabriel got into trouble. All the time. He earned himself a reputation as the Trickster, except now everyone was afraid of him. He was pretending he was fine, and was blocking out his pain with anything he could find.

Sam realized that there was no way this would work. He realized he wouldn't be able to do anything until he was an adult. So he turned his focus to his school work. He still remembered the summer...but it wasn't his main priority. He began to work on talking to other people too, because after all, he did promise Gabriel.

Nine months after the end of camp, 2014

Dean took a brief road trip for the weekend. He felt horrible for leaving Sam behind, but he had to see. He went to the address Cas had written down and knocked on the door. Some random person answered, and when Dean asked explained that the Novak's didn't live there anymore and they didn't know the new address. Dean returned home to break the news to a previously hopeful Sam.

Cas and Gabriel had tried to stay at the house. But it was too small to fit their big family, and they'd had to move away. Cas wouldn't talk to anyone for days.

Summer, 2014

Michael and Lucifer had tried to find Dean and Sam again, but John had cut them off from their old home. Gabriel couldn't miss any more school and Cas would only go if Dean would be there.

Nevertheless, Michael and Lucifer reserved a cabin for the four of them.

The cabin remained empty that summer.

Summer, 2015

The camp barely crossed Dean's mind as he struggled his way through studying for his college course in mechanical engineering.

Sam couldn't help the silence and looked at the photos. The pain in his chest was enough to tell him that the feelings hadn't faded.

Gabriel, having graduated by this point, remembered the conversation they'd had on the last day. Where he actually had an idea of what he wanted to do in life. He realized his reckless attitude wouldn't get him any closer to Sam, and enrolled for college.

Castiel was hurting. He was still trying. He'd said he wouldn't give up...and he wouldn't.

The cabin at the camp remained empty.

Summer, 2016

Dean didn't think about the camp.

Sam went silent for the summer again, but could barely remember why.

Gabriel tried not to remember.

Castiel got sick. Of the mental kind.

February, 2017

Castiel had been seeing a therapist. They said he'd been holding onto the summer too much. He had to let it go to continue on with life. After months...Castiel agreed.

Sam was in his final year of school, Dean and Gabriel both at college by now.

Sam also had a growth spurt.

Summer, 2017

The cabin lay empty. And forgotten.

2018

The summer of five years ago was nearly forgotten in the minds of Dean, Castiel, Gabriel and Sam. They would always treasure that summer...but it was a thing of the past.

Sam was now about to start college. The other three were already there.

Michael and Lucifer had given up on trying to find the Winchester's. They went to live near their younger brothers. Both agreed not to get married yet, because they promised they'd invite the Winchesters. They wouldn't break that promise. Even if their younger brothers didn't care anymore.

Yes, the summer was in the past...but the past always comes back to haunt us. For good or for bad.

The summer dream was gone. And the winter storm was coming.

~~~

And so it begins...don't kill me too much for that guys? :P