Chapter 9

Between being trussed up like a turkey, the fake simpers and high pitched laughter or the hot ballroom crushed at the biggest ball thrown for the coming out of Charlotte Rothesay, Evie wasn't sure which one she hated most. They were precisely why she had avoided London's Season for the past two winters. Her final Season at nineteen was salvageable only because she had met her dearest friend Pippa Rothesay then, and it was also because of her that Evie was now in the duke's ballroom. Her friend's letter had cried mercy at being berated by her brother at every turn.

According to Pippa, Fabian Rothesay had returned from his second trip around the continent, and had apparently taken on his mantle as the heir to the dukedom very seriously all of a sudden. Not entirely sure of why, but Pippa was dying for a reprieve and had practically begged for Evie to come down for a week to save her.

Not that Evie was very sure what her presence would do to change anything, but she had never been able to say no to Pippa and so, she had agreed. Which brought her back to where she currently stood against the wall, actively avoiding the crush in the middle. Pippa had been swept away by her father not too long ago, and Evie was in no mood to socialize. Not when it's been a week since she's seen Connor. The very next day after it had finally been revealed that Evie was in fact, the viscount's daughter, there had been some news from the MacKenzie Keep that required Hammond to send his first in command back to deal with it. Hammond himself was now in London with them, but Connor had left the very morning, and Evie had only found out about his departure after she had woken up.

Since then, the girl hadn't been able to stop wondering. What did he think? Was he angry? Did he think her different now that he knew she actually had a social status? All these questions continuously swirled in her head, distracting her so much that when a certain dirty blond hair male tapped her on her shoulder, Evie startled and would've spilt her glass of punch had it not been caught by her new companion. "Careful Eve, you're going to spoil your gorgeous gown."

"Oh! Fabian, do make a sound when you creep up. You frightened me." Embarassed, Evie placed her hands on her chest and scowled good-naturedly at her best friend's brother. She had occasionally seen Fabian, but because of how often he was away, they got on amicably at best. Nevertheless, Evie had always known Pippa's brother to be friendly and quirky at times. True enough, he grinned and swept into a waist-bending bow, placing the now-empty glass on a passing waiter's before looking up, impish green eyes grinning at her as well. 

"The mistake is mine, my lady. I would make sure to wear bells he next time I approach you." Evie laughed at that, swatting him as he straightened up. "Do be real, Fabian. Are you back for good now? I heard Pippa say so."

"Did she ask you to come save her?" Fabian grinned in returned. Evie's eyes almost bulged out. "How did you know?" her surprised question came, but the heir to Rothesay just smirked and gave a wolfish grin at her, before extending a upheld palm. "That's for me to know and for you to find out. Perhaps... if you grace me with a dance, you may find the answer." 

It was... different, Evie felt somehow. His tone dipped and resonated as if they had a million meanings behind them, quite different from the shallow and quick conversations she's always had when they ran into each other whenever she was with Pippa. At the thought of her best friend however, Evie was suddenly reminded of what Pippa had said just as they were piling into their carriages.

"Keep him as busy as possible. He's been breathing down my neck like a dragon. I need some peace, please please please Evie."

Focusing back on Fabian's still upturned hand, she gave in by slipping her hand into his, feeling the warmth engulf her fingers as he led her to the dance floor just as the band struck up a quadrille. "Enjoying yourself, my lady?"