Chapter 13

Glancing at the big hulking form of Connor from her position where she was tasked with stoking the fire for the night, her chest still ached whenever her gaze fell upon her dark, handsome obsession. With dirt and grime streaking his shirt and kilt, even days of lacking a proper shower and cleanse did not deter Evie from noting how darkly handsome he was, nevermind that she was supposed to be angry at him. Sure, they had not spoken, nor even exchanged a glance in two days, but that did not stop her mind from wandering where it wasn't supposed to.

It was at times like these that the redhead daughter of the Viscount wished she had brought along her best friend and handmaiden, but Hammond had been adamant in not letting Amelia come along. Her cousin had said it was because they had no time to care for another helpless maiden, but Evie couldn't see why twenty men and two brawny Highlander warriors would fail to give adequate protection to them. Fearful of getting her dream rejected however, she had not argued much.

Yet at these times where she felt like strangling at kissing Connor Gilroy simultaneously, she admitted that having her elder friend's wise counsel would've been good. Having been affianced before, Amelia had some experience at least, compared to Evie's woeful lack of knowledge.

"The fire's going strong. Good going, my lady." 

Fabian's voice made her turn, and give a wane smile at her supposed intended husband, before letting the stick she had been using to prod the flames fall next to her. She continued staring at the dancing flames however, a morose aura that did not escape the blond male's notice.

He knew that Evie had been woeful since their little run-in in the woods three days prior. Ever since then, he's noticed a frigid coldness between Evie and the Highland chief, something which had been absent. Fabian had to admit, he had been worried between how close the Highland chief would hover next to her, but at the very least then, the redhead had sparkled with vibrant life. Right now Fabian would liken her more to a scared deer then the vivacious gypsy he's known her. 

He had recently permanently taken up residence in the Rothesay Manor, but even the brief encounters he's had with Evie whenever she had visited Pippa at home, was enough to show how bright and lively Evie was. Compared to the watered down maidens available in London's marriage mart, she was a breathe of fresh air. While his favoring her was nothing like the love his parents had, she had been a logical choice. After all, since the Rothesay estate needed some help, Fabian figured that he didn't have the time to go about the messy business of falling in love. He still remembers the occasional but drawn out arguments his parents goes through.

But as he looked upon her green eyes, almost lifeless and reflected by the dancing flames, a stew pot position over it, Fabian was beginning to wonder if his decision was the right one.

"We'll be there soon, right Hammond?" Evie asked, just as her redhead cousin walked past. Hammond looked down with, Fabian realized, kind eyes if a little uncertain. He was a fair soul, even if the Highland laird appeared hard around the edges. Anyone who knew him would have no doubt that Hammond was skilled with his claymore and sharp of mind, and Fabian had no question as to why his men loyally followed him, nor did he doubt that Evie would be well taken care of within MacKenzie Keep.

Hammond on the other hand, had his suspicions about the young male in their troupe. As it is, he already suspected that the blond dandy was the cause of his commander's broody nature, and as soon as he soothed his cousin, the fierce laird shot Fabian a sharp look and continued his way to where Connor practiced against a strong oak alone. The bark of the old oak tree already bore marks of where his sharp claymore found their hold, but even despite Hammond nearing him, Connor showed no signs of slowing down, not even when Hammond called his name.