Chapter 16

Having lived her life in a well organized, sedate castle where overtly loud noises were not tolerated and servants were well out of sight unless it was mealtimes, the Highland keep was a bit of a culture shock when Evie entered. Boisterous boys ran around wielding wooden swords, what appeared to be the kitchen had people meandering in and out. When Hammond led her to the hall, the warm, red and gold carpet stood out in the middle, with furniture and armchair littered throughout the area. A long dining table was off on the right with a doorway that connected the kitchen to it, which was preparing for the nooning meal.

When Hammond entered, his figure cut a silence throughout the hall, but it was only as if people were taking a moment to reabsorb their laird's return. Only a few seconds passed when a loud whoop broke it, and soon the whole hall reverberated as the servants greeted the leader of their clan. Evie stared, absorbing all of it in surprise. It was obvious to her that Hammond was well loved by his people, perhaps a little too well loved, as a few buxom maids sidled up to him.

He fended them off with few words however, before pulling Evie towards him, addressing everyone to introduce her as his cousin. "Gillian, would ye please bring Evie up to her room? We'll sup in just a bit, once ye've had the time to freshen up."

The younger MacKenzie willingly obliged, and Evie soon found herself being led up the stony stairwell to the second floor, lighted by sconces. Their footsteps echoed as the girls walked past two doorways, before Gillian finally stopped, her pale yellow gown swishing as she pushed the heavy wooden door open.

When Evie entered, the large bed on a brown rug had already been turned down,a fire burning low to keep off the Highland chill, with a basin of clean water on a side table and her belongings lying in a corner on a settee. "Tis yer room, mine is just two doors down, and Hammond's is just opposite mine."

She smiled at her cousin, observing her supposed room for the next week or so, yet was unable to resist asking. "What... about, Connor's? Does he sleep in the Keep as well? Or does... he have his own place?" While Evie knew it was very obvious, she couldn't help her curiosity. Trying to fight back her flush when Gillian gave a coy smile, Evie averted her eyes as the teen sashayed in her room and swung her legs from the tall bed, giving a cheeky smile at her.

"Why would ye want to ken aboot our fair Captain, cousin?"

"I...I just... We've spoken over the past few weeks, and I'm... curious, is all."

The younger girl laughed, not fooled at all by her cousin's aversion to her question. She had brief moments to converse with her childhood playmate, but that was enough to glean the frustration her best friend wore in his eyes. Gillian had known Connor all her life, and her intelligence made it even easier to notice the new comers cautious nature with her, especially after the way she had greeted Connor upon their return.

"We've offered him a room within the Keep, but he prefers to keep the company of his men, so he bunks with them in the barracks behind the Keep." a coy smile played again, cheekiness becoming obvious had Evie been watching, with her next words. "He does however, know his way well around the Keep, as he's been here all his life. He particularly knows the way to my room..."

Evie's eyes flashed as she looked up in surprise at Gillian, only noticing she had been caught as her eyes registered Gillian's laughter the next moment. "And me brother's room, o'course! But I caught ye there, dinna I?"

Unable to resist any longer, she groaned and fell on the bed next to Gillian, burying her face in her hands. The younger one shifted closer and tentatively placed a palm on Evie's back, stroking it as she asked. "What happened with ye two? I've never seen Connor look that way afore, and I've known him all my life."