Chapter One

"Tell me a story."

Camila looked up from her laptop that she had spent the past hour typing away on and saw the small figure standing by the door of her home office. She had especially felt a burst of inspiration tonight for the book she was working on. Camila wasn't sure if it was because she was restless or slightly buzzed off of wine she bought from Jewel-Osco when she went to shop for groceries.

The woman sighed. "Gabe, you're supposed to be asleep." She told her son.

The four year old pouted, rubbing his eyes. "I can't sleep. Can I stay with you?"

Camila bit her lip, tilting her head. "You should be sleeping in your own bed, you're a big boy now." Camila reminded him. "The big four." She said as Gabriel padded over to Camila and she chuckled, picking him up.

Gabe shook his head. "Let me stay with youuu." He whined.

Camila chuckled. "Give me a valid reason."

Gabe furrowed his eyebrows in thought before perking up. "Oh! Because your bed is bigger now since daddy doesn't sleep in it anymore, so that bed needs another person." He pointed to himself.

Camila bit her lip at the mention of her ex-husband but smiled and kissed her son's cheek. "Fine, you can stay, but just tonight." She whispered as she closed her laptop and stood up, turning off the lights and heading to her room with Gabe in her arms.

She was a sucker for Gabriel, he had her wrapped around his little finger. That's why she let him get away with eating junk food and staying up late-sometimes, of course. It used to be twice a week and now it was one, Camila called that progress.

Camila stepped inside her bedroom and placed Gabe on the edge of the bed and he quickly crawled under the covers and Camila followed suit, the moonlight giving them enough light to see each other. Gabe was especially easy to see with his dirty blonde hair. A trait so obviously inherited from his father.

"Tell me a story." Gabe said again.

Camila chuckled as she ran her fingers through his hair. "What kind of story?"

"A good one."

Camila gulped, remembering vividly the summer before her first year of college and the same words spoken to a shadow.

Yes, a shadow.

Moons had shadows no one else could see. Especially during their phases.

Camila hummed as she kissed the top of Gabe's head. "Okay, once upon a time-"

"Mommy, no good story starts with 'Once Upon a Time', you told me this." Gabe interrupted in a very matter-of-fact voice.

Camila giggled and poked his nose. "You are very smart." She whispered before ruffling his hair. "All right, what kind of story are we talking here?"

Gabe hummed. "One with magic." He grinned.

Camila smiled softly and nodded. "I've seen magic." She whispered.

Gabe gasped. "No way."

"Way." Camila said in the same tone of surprise as her son. "Did you know people carry glitter in their hearts? Especially when they love someone."

"Do we have glitter?" Gabe asked.

Camila nodded. "Plenty." She whispered. "I use to have a ton when I was younger, though."

"What about now?"

Camila hummed. "I still have some, especially for you." She smiled at Gabe.

Gabe smiled proudly. "Did you lost your glitter?"