Chapter Thirteen

Camila use to be the girl that didn't believe in magic—she fiercely believed that the only thing life gave you was pain.

And perhaps, she was right. Maybe life did give you pain—lots of it. An endless supply of it, even.

But it couldn't be the only thing life gave. Life gave an endless wheel of colors, you can easily color from light to dark, but was it easy to color from dark to light? No, but it wasn't impossible. There is always a way to find light in the dark again, Camila believed that fiercely.

And it was wacky to believe, but Camila believed fiercely that magic would help keep her and Lauren together. After all, love was magic. So, she was relying a lot on their love to stay in the light.

It had been in the dark long enough.

But it was the last day the circus would be here, and Camila felt the dread of having to stay while Lauren left. A part of her hoped these past few weeks would convince Lauren to rethink her life and make a new one with Camila and Gabe in the picture.

It didn't, but she still had one more night with Lauren. And she hoped it wouldn't be the last one.

Camila sighed as she stared at the framed picture resting beside Lauren's bed. Lauren never decorated her bus with anything, but Camila noticed Lauren had put a few pictures around the bus of them and some drawings Gabe had given to her were taped around some parts of the bus.

It had to mean something.

Camila believed in the importance of symbols. They served better than any complex and long explanation, they showed everything you needed to know.

Camila hoped these symbols showed her what she needed see.

Camila heard voices outside the bus, recognizing one of them as Lauren's. She looked over at the door of the bus and saw Lauren come in, taking off her ringmaster costume and stripping down to just her bra and panties.

"Putting one last show for me there?" Camila spoke up, a playful smile on her face.

Lauren looked up and chuckled as she walked over to Camila and kissed her lips gently before changing into a t shirt and sweatpants. "Not yet, but I look quite attractive in this gear too." She winked.

Camila snorted and shook her head as she sat down on the bed. "So...last day." She said softly, looking up at Lauren. "What's going to happen?"

Lauren raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean? I leave, you stay." She shrugged. "We text, call, and Skype until I can come back to you."

"You act like it's so simple and I'm so okay with you leaving and me staying." Camila told her.

"You aren't?"

Camila scoffed. "Seriously?" she shook her head. "Remember what happened last time? I woke up in an empty bed and an even emptier heart. You left and it tore me apart...how do I know that won't happen again?"

Lauren sighed. "Why do we always come back to this?"

"Because you never give me a definitive answer! I always go in god damn circles with you! Finish the circle, Lauren! I need to know I'm not setting up my heart for pain again." Camila exclaimed, her voice cracking. "I can't go through that again..."she said as she ran her hand through her hair. "It hurt so much." She whispered.

Lauren bit her lip. "I can't promise anything," she said as she sat down next to Camila. "but I can promise that I love you and the last thing I want to do is lose you."