Chapter Eleven

"How can you help someone who doesn't think they need to be helped? Who thinks they're a hopeless case?" Camila asked Alycia with a sigh as she glanced over at Gabe who was in between Eliza's legs as they played Mario Kart together, Eliza determined to beat the four year old.

Alycia looked away from Eliza and Gabe and back to Camila. "Is this about Lauren?" she asked.

Camila nodded as she ran a hand through her hair. "She just...she thinks she can't let go of the circus because of this stupid legacy. But she doesn't want to be in the circus anymore...she's done. She leaves in three days, Alycia. And I feel like if I let her go...I'll lose her. I don't know if I can handle her living this life she clearly doesn't want to live. I want to help her...but she's so stubborn and tries to make it seem like it's not a bad thing. It is. The circus is destroying her. And I don't even think she fully accepts that fact."

Alycia hummed as she leaned forward. "Have you tried talking to her about it?"

Camila sighed. "So many times. But she dismisses it so quickly." She shook her head.

"Then I think she knows exactly what the circus is doing to her. But she's stuck. The circus is all she knows, Camila." Alycia told her. "She's never had control over her life and she's afraid of having it."

"But..." Camila chewed on her lip. "She has me...I'm something she knows too..."

Alycia smiled tightly. "Sometimes, having a person be there for you is not enough to dissipate whatever you're feeling."

Camila sighed. "I wish it could be enough." She mumbled. "I just...I just want her to talk to me. Be honest and talk to me."

Alycia hummed before leaning closer to Camila. "This is probably not good advice, but it works." She whispered.

Camila raised an eyebrow before nodding. "Okay...what is it?"

"You know, they always say that the best way to get anyone to be honest is by getting them drunk." Alycia said.

Camila was surprised by the advice and raised an eyebrow. "That's probably the most fucked up suggestion you've ever given me, but it's surprisingly true."

Alycia shrugged. "You don't have to do it. But if you want answers, it'd probably help to get her drunk and have her say what she refuses to say sober."

Camila nodded. "Yeah...well...I feel like I have no other option but to do that." she sighed. "Will it work?"

"Sometimes, it's better to not know. The unknown is scary, but it's better to not know it than to know everything. Knowing everything only causes more anxiety." Alycia shrugged. "Sometimes all you gotta do is hope the world doesn't bite you in the ass this time around."

________________________

Lauren smiled as she crawled over to Camila who was writing in a notebook on her bed. "Whatcha writing there?" she whispered, kissing Camila's jaw.

Camila hummed. "Give me a second before you seduce me." She mumbled.

Lauren giggled and kissed Camila's lips gently. "And how do you know I didn't already?" she smirked.

Camila rolled her eyes. "Shut up." she chuckled.

Lauren smiled before wrapping her arms around Camila. "Okay, but seriously...what are you writing?" she asked.

"A poem." Camila responded.

"So detailed." Lauren chuckled. "What's this poem about? It's not depressing, right?"