Chapter Seven

Camila found strange comfort in mornings.

Maybe it was because in the morning it was still relatively quiet, so she still had time to be alone before the noise would settle in and she had to spend the rest of the day with it.

Maybe it was because in the morning she would look forward to hearing Gabe's tiny footsteps padding along the wooden floor before arriving to the kitchen and attempting to grab a sip of her coffee.

Or maybe it was because Lauren was lying right next to her and she never believed she would ever experience waking up next to Lauren in the morning. She had spent the last 10 years only imagining how it would be like.

Camila imagined things differently.

She imagined waking up to Lauren holding her in her arms and Camila would watch her eyes flutter open and she'd see her gorgeous green eyes light up at seeing her. Her little raspy voice would then mutter a 'good morning' and then smile lazily at her before getting up and going about her day.

Instead, Lauren wasn't holding her. She was turned away from Camila and she knew Lauren was awake. But it was different. It all felt different.

Of course she felt intense feelings at kissing Lauren and then having passionate sex afterwards, but there was obvious tension still between them. Nothing was resolved. And Camila shouldn't have expected sex to solve their issues.

But she would try. It was the least she could do.

Camila sat up on the mattress, still holding on to her side of the blanket and looked over at Lauren. "Hey." She said, biting her lip. "I was wondering if you wanted to get breakfast or something. Just us two. I know a great place—"

"I think you should go." Lauren glanced at Camila before gazing at the wall in front of her, lost in her thoughts.

Camila didn't expect that answer.

"Excuse me?" Camila asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"You shouldn't have looked for me." Lauren said. "This was a mistake and you need to leave."

Camila felt her eyes water and chuckled bitterly. "Yes, of course you say that right after you fucked me, right?" she asked.

Lauren didn't say anything.

"I wanted to look for you, okay? And I thought you wanted to look for me too." Camila said, gulping.

"There's nothing to find with me." Lauren whispered. "This was pointless." She said as she started to change into some clothes. Lauren threw Camila's clothes on the bed. "Leave."

Camila let out a deep breath before changing into her clothes. "Was I just another fuck in the many stops you have?" she said bitterly.

Lauren didn't reply.

"What happened to me being your fucking sun? Or was that just bullshit so that I'd sleep with you?"

"If you don't leave, I'm going to have someone escort you out." Lauren said quietly.

Camila could feel her insides boil at the words. How could Lauren speak so beautifully last night about how much she had missed her and how she loved her and how she was everything to her but then be this cold to her the next morning? What could have changed overnight?

Camila thought this was it. That she didn't have to spend another day wondering about Lauren or wishing for her to be with her because she'd be right next to her.

Camila has quickly realized that just because the person you missed is standing right next to you does not mean they missed you back.

Sometimes, the only thing the other person will miss is the past and you in it.