Chapter Ten

Camila flipped a pancake that was cooking in the pan before going back to making Gabe's lunch for school quickly. It was times like these she wished she had an extra hand again. Sam usually helped her in the mornings, so it use to be less hectic for her. But now she had to do this on her own, and sometimes she struggled.

Gabe ran into the kitchen, sporting purple fairy wings with a matching tutu and blue jeans underneath. "How do I look?" Gabe grinned. "Do I look lovely?" he did a little spin.

Camila looked away from the peanut butter and jelly sandwich she was making and smiled at the adorable outfit, chuckling at Gabriel's word choice. "You definitely look lovely. You gonna wear that to school?" she asked as she went back to making the sandwich.

Gabe nodded. "Yup!" he exclaimed as he suddenly scrunched up his nose. "Mommy, what's that smell?"

Camila hummed before raising an eyebrow and looking at Gabe with a confused look. "What?" she questioned before she smelled something burning and cursed to herself. "Shit!" she exclaimed as she dropped the sandwich and rushed to pick up the burnt pancake, dropping the pancake to the floor and hissing when it burned her fingers.

The pancake wasn't completely cooked, so pancake batter was splattered on the floor and in some of the bottom cabinets.

Gabe stuck out his tongue and made a disgusted noise. "You made a mess." He pointed out.

Camila put her hands in her face and groaned. "I know." She mumbled.

Gabe walked to where the napkins were and grabbed a bunch of napkins and started wiping the cabinets. "Maybe ring lady should come and make us breakfast." He said casually.

Camila was picking up the dropped peanut butter and jelly sandwich when Gabe said that. Her eyes widened and dropped the sandwich again, blinking. "What?"

"Ring lady...she can come, right? She's your girlfriend." Gabe smiled smugly.

"Uh..." Camila stammered as she bent down to pick up the sandwich and walked to the trash can and tossed it in. "I don't know." She said softly. "She might be busy."

"Well call her on your cell phone!" Gabe exclaimed.

Camila chewed on her lip. "I don't know, Gabriel." she said as she started to help Gabe clean up the pancake mess on the floor.

"Why not?" he pouted. "I want her to teach me how to play with the lions."

Camila chuckled. "In your wildest dreams, bud. I'm not letting you near them."

"But they don't do anything!" he exclaimed. "I can be a ring person too!"

Camila chuckled and looked at Gabe before kissing his cheek. "We'll see." She said as she got up and went to throw away the pancake.

It was silent for a few seconds before she heard Gabe leave the room. Camila nodded, relieved Gabe didn't keep insisting.

Camila hummed to an old song playing on her record player as she attempted to make some pancakes again. Camila could easily admit she wasn't the best cook out there, but she had to try when she had a four year old to feed.

"Hello, yes, are you the ring lady?" Camila heard Gabe. Camila chuckled and shook her head, Gabe had such a wacky imagination. But she was glad for that (mostly because he could spend hours playing on his own without disturbing her as she wrote).

"You need to come and make breakfast for us. My mommy keeps burning the pancakes. And...between you and me...I don't like how she makes my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches."