32. The zoo

"Come on, this is going to be fun." John assured as they headed through the gates of the zoo. Sherlock just huffed in reply. Even though this was his idea, he already wished he never asked Ms. Hudson her advice. John chuckled, sliding his fingers through Sherlock's fingers.

"Would you rather that we do some walking first? See some of the outdoor animals?" John suggested as they were standing in front of a crossroad. One road leaded to the reptile house and the other to some outdoor animals like lions, bears and zebras.

"Yeah, let's do that." Sherlock agreed, not really caring what they do. He's willing to do everything for his John. They were wandering hand in hand on a pebbly road, sun shining on them through the leaves of the oak trees. John was looking secretly at Sherlock with a soft smile, feeling happy to be here with him. When he saw Sherlock's forehead wrinkling, he snapped his head away. Sherlock turned his head to John.

"Why were you staring?" He asked suspiciously, slightly frowning.

"I wasn't staring, I was trying to see which animals that are in the distance." He lied, standing on his tip toes to get a better look. "Oh Lions."

"You were staring at my face, John." He pointed out with a grin.

"Okay, maybe I was." He admitted. "Can't help it. You are just so damn beautiful." He admitted, looking at the blush the crept on Sherlock's cheeks, squeezing his hand.

"Well then." He said flustered, not knowing what to say on John's flirty compliment. Even though John kept repeating that he's amazing, beautiful, hot and the best detective from the whole world. Sherlock kept losing his words every time he got one of those compliments. John found it cute and he liked to tease with Sherlock. One time John sat on Sherlock's lap, blurring out all the positive things about Sherlock. And Sherlock couldn't help but hide his face with his hands in embarrassment. Then John took the opportunity to tickle Sherlock, so his face was visible.

Caused ten minutes snogging.

The lion enclosure looked empty when they arrived. John tried his hardest not to look upset, but he couldn't hide his disappointment from Sherlock.

"Don't you worry, John I'll lure them out. They probably lounging around in the back of their cave and just need a good wake up call." Sherlock said with a wink, knowing John's favorite animal from the predators are lions. Sherlock readied himself, puffed out his chest, sucked in a breath and committed to his mightiest roar. John was looking at Sherlock with wide eyes his mouth open with a smile of disbelief before he started laughing hysterical. He saw children roaring but never ever an adult. And not just an adult, the Sherlock Holmes. The person everyone says he's a cold and a closed person. That person was roaring, trying to lure the lions right now. John laughed, resting his hand on Sherlock's shoulder to steady himself.

"Oh my god, Sherlock. That's not going to wo-' John trailed off as he saw a lion padding to the center of his cage. A lioness was following behind. She stretched and she was closely followed by three cups. Sherlock was looking down at John, feeling proud of himself. John was too shocked to say anything. He watched the mother lioness walk down to the pool below to take a drink of the water. The three cubs, uninterested at the pool rolled around in the grass, waiting on their mother to finish.

"What did you say?" Sherlock said teasingly. John snorted, shaking his head.

"I have to tell this on school Monday." He laughed, looking amazingly into those brilliant eyes from Sherlock. "You're talented, you can apply for a lion Job. I'm sure they want a lion with black manes." John said, playing with the curls from Sherlock. Sherlock pursed his lips together, frowning at the smaller man. He pushed John gently backwards, so John's back was against the railing. John knew what was coming. He was licking his bottom lip as he stared at Sherlock's lips. Sherlock lifted John's chin with his finger and narrowed his eyes. He gently caressed John's cheek with his thumb as he looked into his hazel eyes. They were both smiling at each other. The look in their eyes was filled with love.

"You're an idiot." He muttered, leaning down for a tender kiss.

"Your idiot." John said through the kiss, smiling sheepishly, tugging at Sherlock's shirt, pulling him closer than they already were.

"Hey! You two, get a room!" And old grey-haired man shouted, approaching the two with a walking cane. Both Sherlock and John were giving the man a look of Joy before running away, hand in hand.

After that they visited the bears, penguins, elephants and much more. In the midday around one o'clock John got hungry, so they decided to eat something. Sherlock refused to eat something, but after John's whining about that food is important. Sherlock gave in with a scoff. He ate ten fries and one bite of John's burger.

Soon they were standing at the otters. "Come on Sherlock. Don't tell me you don't see the comparisons." John laughed, gesturing to an otter watching dull at them behind the glass. Sherlock gave the animal a dead look, sticking out his tongue like a child.

"I don't look like that mutt." Sherlock pointed out, crossing his arms. John nudged him in the side.

"Look at him. Undoubtedly your twin." John said between chuckles. "Well, except the bunch of hair. Definitely." He smiled brightly.

"Shut up John." Sherlock said, pushing John weakly away.

"Or what Mr. Otter?" John teased alluringly. Sherlock stepped closer, rolling with his eyes.

"Or I'll get you right here, something this." He paused, looking with a stern look at the otter. "Animal..." He said in disgust, glaring back at his doctor. "Can't do." John laid his hands onto Sherlock's chest. "Oh you really don't like this innocent otter. Do you?" John said teasingly. Sherlock shook his head and bent down to steal a kiss from his love.

It was turning late. John wanted to look inside the store at the exit of the park. Sherlock nodded, not following behind. He just sat him down on a free bench, waiting on John to return. When John came back he had one of those smirks on his face, which Sherlock knew that it was bad news for himself. John strolled towards Sherlock with his hands crossed behind his back. John approached Sherlock, biting his bottom lip. Sherlock frowned, waiting on John to reveal whatever he was hiding.

There it was.

A plush otter.