Chapter 3

Picture of Susan at the top, just imagen her in a green cap and different cloths. Forest gear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 3

I wait patiently for the figure to reach me. When it does, I smile kindly at the thirty-something year old woman. Her hair is tied back in a messy pony beneath her baseball cap and her dark tanned face and grey eyes smile at me with genuine happiness.

"Hi!"

She says, grinning like a teenager.

I like her immediately and I answer with;

" Hi to you to! I'm Vanesa Brinkly. And I'm supposed to be staying here for two months. And I'm really looking forward to it now!"

I know I'm gushing like a child, but I can't help it. I just feel indescribably happy right now.

The woman laughs.

"Nice to meet you Vanesa, I'm Susan. Camp Captain. And you have no idea how nice it is to meet you."

I look at her confused and ask,

"Why that? I mean; why is it so nice to meet me?"

"Oh, I just had to deal with a not-so-polite boy around your age. So it is really nice to meet a polite one right after. Even though.... you do look like you're going to be a trouble courser... But a nice one!"

Smiling I nod in agreement.

"Yeah, I really am a trouble courser. Always up too no good. But I'll try not to drown anybody while my stay here."

I joke, and Susan laughs. She has a kind, Motherly laugh. Not that I'd know what a Mothers laugh sounds like, that is. My Mom died in a crash when I was barely a year old...

Susan has been talking all this time, and I quickly tune in.

"... so I'll be showing you to your cabin, wich you shall be sharing with three other girls your age. Then you can wait around with the other kids until I give the welcome talk. With the talk, I shall explain the daily routine and all the other things. Now come along"

She sets off across the clearing, and I follow her.