C h a p t e r 3

A white, hot sensation rushed through my body as the full moon filled my vision over the silver beast's shoulder. Although not painful, I could feel the wolf's teeth in my neck, sending out warm pulses throughout my body. It felt like I was shattering within--cracking and falling apart. The pulses were slowly mending my soul--bringing the pieces back together.

All of a sudden another force slammed into me and I started to buck wildly. It's energy crashed into my very being and attached itself to the waves of pulses in a feral manner. It continued to merge itself with me and I wanted to scream. As quickly as it came, the force locked itself fully with myself and everything stilled, including the pulses.

I was breathing heavily as relief and exhaustion took over. The wolf removed it's teeth from my neck and lapped away the blood with its tongue.

My mind was goo--I couldn't think straight as I mindlessly stared up into the night sky, dark purple splotches spilling in the corners of my vision.

I tried to move my body, but instead ended up slumping onto my side. Oh well, it's something. My eyes now facing the forest, I looked out and spotted Cleora in the trees. There was a large grin on her face as she looked across the field at me. Why wasn't she fighting the other werewolves? Where was Jack?

Realization hit me and if I could move, I would have gotten up to hurt her.

She left them. Coward.

Rage blinded me from seeing two new wolves come out from the other side of the forest and advance towards the one who'd bit me. I sent daggers at Cleora as I caught her eye. Her grin turned into a large, grim smile as she retreated back into the forest, now gone.

That bitch.

I needed to get up, now.

Trying to move my legs got me nowhere, so instead I used my upper body strength and slowly dragged myself towards one of my scythes. A growl vibrated from across the field, causing me to freeze.

One of the two werewolves from across the field shifted so that she was now in human form. The silver wolf that had bitten me snarled a couple feet away as the woman took a step forward.

"End this and come back." She pleaded.

The silver wolf growled in answer and crouched down, preparing to attack should they come any further.

Slowly, I crawled further a little more until I grasped one of my scythes.

One will just have to do.

The silver wolf seemed to finally notice, because he came over to me and despite my resistance, the wolf grabbed my weapon from my hand with its mouth and flung it away from me.

The other wolf who had come with the women turned into human form as well and looked over at my form.

"Why don't you just kill--" He choked on his words as he looked at my neck. The women seemed to notice my neck as well because she snarled and hissed at me.

"Why is she your mate?!" She accused. The silver wolf standing over me seemed pleased with himself, the triumphant gleam in his eyes visible to all.

"Shit!" The man exclaimed under his breath.

The silver wolf growled and stepped forward threateningly. The other two took a couple steps back and reverted back into their wolf forms, but not before the man barked "you don't know what you've just done." They both left with murderous expressions and disappeared back into the forest.

The silver wolf continued to look out into the forest, so I seized the opportunity and grabbed my other scythe not two feet away.

Wobbly, I got to my feet and put space between the wolf and I. Although in wolf form, it seemed to roll its eyes and sigh as I got into a fighting stance.