C h a p t e r 2 7

There was a reason as to why I was chosen to be a Moon Slayer, and it wasn't because of my charming personality.

I scanned the streets below the skyline for any signs of movements. Few people moved here and there -- slugging back their apartments to crash after wild nights. I breathed in and out slowly, letting my eyes flutter closed as I focused on my other senses rather than sight.

This wouldn't be a normal hunt. I would be hunting other hunters in order to get to their prize before they could and steal it from right under their noses. It was time to show them just who the Red Hunter was.

The scent of powdered sugar and buttery cream filled my nose. The aroma was faint, but still there, and it was traveling in winding patterns that wouldn't be easy for most to follow.

But I wasn't most.

Instead of making my way to the ground, I chose to stay on the roof tops so that I could have the advantage of being on higher ground. I kept my weapons sheathed as I jumped from building to building without stirring a soul. I was thankful that the buildings were so clustered together on the streets, or else following the scent of Circe would've been a headache.

Well, not Circe's scent, but the scent of the body she was in. The café's scent. Edvige's scent.

The wind shifted directions and I seized my running. Shit. If she traced, I was screwed. Her scent was blowing everywhere, leaving me momentarily blind. I was standing on the edge of a grand hotel. One step forward and I would be under gravity's control soley.

Short, wavy locks escaped from my ponytail and blew in front of my face like dark whisps of a fire dancing around restlessly. When they stilled and fell to the sides of my face, Circe's scent fell from me as well.

And instead I picked up three different ones. Whiffs of salty sweat and warm wool were the only warnings I got before I spotted the two figures creeping over rooftops two streets down.

I crouched down and lowered my shoulders so that my black cloak fell over my exposed body. I watched them in silence, grasping what information I could get from their body language.

There was a tug at my heart, not from the bond but from my twin scythes strapped to my sides. It was as if two young children were softly pulling at the hem of my shirt in silent question.

I knew what they wanted. I knew as they silently begged that they wanted to be released from their constraints and let loose on the world so that they could cut down anything that dare walk in front of their master's path.

It was energy being poured into my tattooed heart -- a quiet reminder of just how powerful sacred weapons were.

Not yet, I murmured to them and I could've sworn I felt a wave of disappointment before they hushed.

There was no need to hide since although hunters could see well in the dark, they didn't have the peculiar nocturnal vision I alone was gifted with.

I didn't want to hurt them, but if they got in my way then all play would be fair. My need for Circe was greater than theirs, especially since they didn't know it was Circe they were chasing.

My blood turned cold as a thought entered my head. Did they know? That night, Gabel wasn't in the house. Had he left to tell the Council? I shook my head to clear the thought away. Gabel made it clear that he didn't want the council knowing about the existence of demons.