C h a p t e r 6

"What can I get for you?"

"Just an espresso, please."

"Sugar? Milk?"

"Just black, thanks."

The waitress smiled and walked off with my order, leaving me to my thoughts.

'"A couple hunters were sent to kill him an hour ago."'

Do I go back to Cole and help him? He could be killed, resulting in my death if I don't go. If he got hurt, would I be hurt as well through the bond? The bond.

I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists. Hell if I would save his ass! He can go ahead and get himself hurt and if he dare dies he can trust that I'll make his afterlife torture. He's the reason I can never have my life back.

'"Kill Kane or be banished."' Gabel's words whispered in the back of my mind.

"I choose Kane." I told myself, my resolve settled. I owed Cole nothing, so damn him, he can do what he wants until I kill Kane and end this.

My mind was snapped back into reality as a coffee was set in front of me.

"One black espresso. Is there anything else you need or would like?" The waitress stated. I looked up into her young hazel eyes to see that she was giving me a warm, bright smile. About to thank her, I opened my mouth, but was cut off before any sound could come out.

I watched from the window as two police cars and an ambulance went blaring down the busy main street outside the small coffee shop I was in.

"Probably another accident." The waitress mumbled out loud as soon as the rushing vehicles were out of sight.

"Are they frequent around here?" She nodded, causing her pastel blue hair to bounce from the movement.

"We used to be just another quiet little town, but for the last couple of months accidents have been occurring." She shook her head mournfully.

I couldn't look her in the eye. Instead, I looked down at my coffee and started to fidget with the sleeve of my crimson cloak.

"Are you going to a convention today?" The waitress asked me.

"What?"

"The outfit you're wearing, it's cosplay right? Is it from an anime or something? Anyways, I just wanted to say that it looks cool--pretty badass."

"Oh--oh! Yeah . . . cosplay and there's a convention, yeah. Thank you."

She gave me another smile before walking off.

Smooth Rose, Smooth.

I let out a long sigh and sipped my coffee. I didn't have time to change before coming to this little coffee shop. I had left the clan house right away after my little chat with Gabel and had taken a taxi to the center of town. It was perhaps half an hour away from Cole and his prison he called a house--the closest I could bear to be near both.

I shook my head and banished thoughts of Cole from my head.

I don't care about him.

Kane, that's what I needed to focus on. But what do I focus on? There was nothing, nothing, that could lead me to Kane. Not even the hunters in the clan house had any clue as to where he was after that night in the warehouse.

No, there had to be something. I would find it. Giving up was not an option. Pushing my empty coffee cup away from me, I left the shop after throwing a twenty on the table.