C h a p t e r 3 0

I found it incredible that even though Edvige was blind, she could still sense something was amiss when Circe walked into her café with her Granddaughter. I walked next to Circe as we slowly made our way towards Edvige.

Edvige got out of her seat with a jump as her trembling fingers fought to hold her cane. Circe rolled her eyes from next to me, earning a glare from my side. The grip I still had on her arm tightened in warning.

"Is that you, my witty angel?" She called, addressing me in her own sort of way. "Have you brought my Granddaughter as well?" I didn't answer.

"Geonna?" Edvige called out in desperation as she tripped on one of the chairs as she tried to come closer to us. And there it was, the name of her Granddaughter. It was a name that would haunt me for the rest of my life.

"Geonna?" She cried out again. Somehow she was able to sense she was here with us, which made it all so much worse.

When Edvige was finally in front of Circe and her Granddaughter, I chose to speak. "She's dead," I spoke quietly, making the two words as clear as they could be.

"She can't be dead, you were suppose to bring her back to me," Edvige whispered, although she knew what I said was true. She had somehow known all along that her Geonna would never be found alive. Her glassy eyes watered as tears streamed down her face for her fallen family. Her hope had not saved her from grief.

"I'm sorry," I murmured. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," I continued to choke out as I caught Edvige before she could fall.

"You were my angel, the one to bring her . . . " She whispered more to herself as her frail shoulders shook with her sobs.

"Let me hold my baby," she begged as she let go of her cane and stretched her arms out in front of her.

"Gladly," Circe huffed as she handed Edvige her Granddaughter's body. Edvige frantically took her body and hugged her close. "Geonna?" Edvige whispered once more. Her weathered hand stroked Geonna's hair once more as she waited for a response. It was only when she was met with a deafening silence when she truly accepted that her beloved kin had fallen.

I stood upright once more with a lightheaded sway, my hand reaching for Circe's.

"Don't tell me you need to hold my hand?" Circe taunted as she look down at our intertwined limbs.

"No, but I do need to in order to make sure you apologize for what you did to Edvige and her family," I grounded out, my grip tightening.

"Do you honestly think that tactic will do you any good?" Circe tisked with disapproval and annoyance. "Oh no, look at me! An ancient creature of Time and darkness being compelled to do whatever my mortal master wants me to do because she's squeezing my hand, what ever shall I do?"

"Whatever I wish," I spoke with void as focused on the raw energy burning through my veins -- the blood pumping through my palm. Circe let out a small shriek from next to me, but I didn't let go. Instead I held on tighter and continued to burn her until she finally gave in.

"Fine," she snarled. "I will apologize as you wish, but only because I'm proud you've learned a new trick."

"Do it right," I grounded out, but ceased my assault.

Edvige was still in her own world as she rocked her Granddaughter back and forth in her arms, unaware of Circe and I until the former addressed her.

"I apologize," Circe muttered. Edvige looked up at Circe as if she could see her.

"What was that?" Edvige asked breathlessly.