C h a p t e r 1 2

This chapter might be a bit confusing in the beginning, but if you roll with it it'll all make sense ;) Happy reading
-Belle

----------------------

Flashes, that was all they were.

Everything around me was nothing but blurred flashes of shadow as Cole, Kenji, and I ran through the thick underbrush of the dark forest like midnight bandits after a raid. Our feet moved across the earth like wisps, making no sound in the quiet night. With Cole and Kenji on either side of me, I led them through the unveiled darkness of twilight and carefully towards the sight of the accident.

Although I was not a werewolf, I was able to see in the dark like them--a gift envied by my fellow hunters. What I didn't have, was a werewolf's keen sense of hearing, so when Cole suddenly lunged forward to grab a hunter waiting for us behind a tree, I struggled to hide the surprise from my face.

I hadn't even noticed the female hunter.

"This is the fourth one so far," I announced quietly in puzzlement, so only their ears could pick up on my words.

"And?" Cole asked as he knocked the hunter unconscious before she could scream. She slumped into his arms, head lolling to the side. Cole hid her behind a tree before moving back towards Kenji and I, waiting for my answer.

"There should be more hunters than this in the forest." I stated.

"Aren't you suppose to be guiding us through this forest so we don't run into any hunters?" He asked. I shook my head at Cole.

"No, that's not the goal. The goal was to weave through their formation and break it up so they can't work together to catch us. We were bound to run into some hunters, but not four. There should be more than that," I let out a frustrated groan. "I don't understand this. There's no formation. There's no pattern. There's no hunters."

Kenji titled his head to the side, taking in my words. I had learned that Kenji was a man of few words and rarely allowed any emotion to show, but at the moment concern was clear on his face, his eyebrows pinched and his dark monolid eyes in deep thought. "Alpha, should we turn back? I don't like the uncertainty of this situation."

I watched Cole as he turned towards the direction the house was in, and then towards where we were heading, his determination and wariness swimming through the channel of our bond.

"No, we need answers. This might be our only chance." He looked towards Kenji, who gave an accepting nod to his answer. He then turned towards me. "Lead the way."

We started to run again, never less than heedful towards our surroundings as we made our way to the scene of the crime--the gas station where the car wreckage was.

Although the area was blocked off with yellow caution tape and there were still police cars stationed around the accident, the place was dead, not a soul in sight except for ourselves.

"Let's make this quick." Cole stated as he walked towards the car wreckage, Kenji and I in tow.

The car was black and practically demolished, with the front half of the vehicle resembling a crushed soda can. Glass was everywhere, and the scent of smoke still lingered in the air.

This was the same car from that night.

My breath hitched as memories from that night forced themselves into my mind. The cars crashing into us. Losing my weapons. Nearly dying.

Jack being taken.

I shook my head vigorously, earning a concerned look from Cole who could no doubt feel my sudden change in emotion through our bond.