Chapter 11

Joshua's POV

The pop quiz was so damn hard. How could anyone even answer everything?

Obviously only Violet.

During the whole time, she looked so confident and fast answering every single page. I'm 99% sure that no one else could have answered everything.

And...I complimented her without thinking. She had blushed and looked down at her feet.

While Mr Smith was talking about chemical bonding, both of us keep quiet.

After class, Brady catches up with me and reminds me, " Don't forget! Tonight, my house!" Confused, I ask, "How is it that you can remember things like that but nothing else?" He shrugs and grins at me. I roll my eyes.

"Stop being friends with Joshua! He's mine!" I suddenly hear a high-pitched voice shriek.

"Is it your problem who I befriend? So what if he's my friend? It's not like we're dating!" another voice says. Violet's voice. I walk quietly towards Jasmine and Violet, who are in the Chemistry classroom.

"NO! Just stop being his friend or else I will reveal your secret, you bitch!" Jasmine insults. My heart pounds and I instantly want to protect Violet from her. But I keep quiet and continue listening.

"Oh? You mean, beautiful, intelligent, talented, cool and hot? Yeah, I am all of those," Violet retorts and I stifle my laughter. "You are DESPICABLE!" Jasmine shouts.

"I bet you're so dumb you can't even spell that. I'm pretty sure you just heard that from Despicable Me the movie," Violet answers sarcastically. "UGH!!! Just stay away!!" Jasmine yells and I hear her storm out of the classroom.

I wait for Violet to come out but she doesn't. Worried, I walk into the classroom and see her crying silently.

I rush to her side and sooth her. "Hey hey, it's okay. It's okay, you're stronger than any girl I know. Everything is gonna be fine," I say quietly, soothing her while hugging her.

"No... you don't understand. She knows, Jasmine knows," Violet sobs, pushing my arm away. Knows what? I'm curious but I know I shouldn't ask.

I just hug her again and we stand like that for who knows how long.

Violet's POV

After a really long time, all I know is that I'm currently wrapped in someone's warm arms. I sniff and look up.

Joshua Parker is hugging me.

My eyes widen in realisation as I push away from him. "What's wrong?" he asks, concern filling his eyes. "Why are you hugging me?" I quietly say. "I overheard you and Jasmine's argument. Is comforting a friend wrong?" he says. Friend. My heart shatters. He only thinks of me as a friend.

Wait, if he heard me and Jasmine, then I told him that she knew my secret.

Crap.

"I'm fine. You can go." I say without emotion. He hesitates and I say again, louder this time, "Please go away." Hurt fills his eyes and my chest tightens. He nods sadly and leaves.

I close my eyes and take in a deep breath.

I can't let my secret out. It's the reason why I can't be confident around people.

But he knows that I have a secret.

And he will want to find out.

What do I do?