Sapphire Pendant

-Prologue-

Adeline

I was riding through the Forest of Morr with my father by my side on a black stallion with spots on its rump.  My horse was a young caramel mare I had yet to name.

My father and I took many rides at least once a week, sometimes more if there was time, through the forest.  One time I could have sworn that I saw a figure wearing a red tunic dart through the forest.  I followed its motion with my eyes as it darted behind a tree.  I passed if off as one of the trainers of Air Kingdom.

“Adeline, what do you think of the forest today?” Father asked me.  He slowed his horse down to a slow trot.

“The forest is as mysterious and shady as usual,” I said, I was being humorous in the last part but in the first part I was completely serious.  Describing the forest as mysterious is not usually something you hear from an eleven year old.

But it was entirely true.  The Forest of Marr, or any forest in general, was intriguing: the way the leaves overlapped each other, shading the sun from the sky so that only a couple rays of sunshine and blue sky were able to peer through the dense foliage.

“In the forest, anything is possible,” I told my father smiling up at him faintly.  He took his hand off the rein that attached to the horse patting me on the hand trying to maneuver his hands around my small diamond tiara that rested atop my pinned up curls.

He smiled down at me, “I know I’m not supposed to have favorites but I know you a lot better than your other sisters.”  This gave me a sense of pride.  I liked being someone’s number one person.  We rode together in a comfortable silence.

“How do you feel about marriage, sweetie?” Father asked me changing the topic swiftly.

“It is something I know will happen to me in the future, but not something I dream about,” I answered honestly looking up at my father questioningly.

He looked down at my rounded face.  I smiled up at him showing off my dimple.

He tapped me on the nose twice, “You, Adeline, are a smart little girl.”  I smiled up at Father.

There was a rustling behind us Father turned his horse around with skill, his horse, Regal, snorted menacingly.  I turned my horse to mimic his.  I looked up at Father expecting praise but all I received was a flash of fear cross his face.

An Air Hunter emerged from a tall bush.

“Your Majesty,” he said bowing at Father, “Princess Adeline,” he said bowing at me as well, “Her majesty the queen is in labor.” 

Father didn’t need to hear more.  He galloped out of the forest with Regal running at his fastest.  I urged my stock legged mare foreword.

“Thank you,” I yelled over my shoulder.  My high-pitched, child voice echoed through the forest.

My father leaned closer to the horse’s neck trying to become aerodynamic to get to the castle faster.  My horse trotted a couple paces past him, my heaving pants in sync with my pony’s snorts.

We reached the gate and I jumped off my horse and ran to keep up with my father’s long strides.  Two servants opened the door for us, my yellow riding dress flowing out behind me.  My father’s cape whipped me in the face as he made a quick turn into the Royal Chambers.

My mother, Queen Clarissa, was panting on the large bed, a lump of silk fabric where her protruding stomach was hiding under.

The royal doctor lifted the blankets that covered the queen.  I quickly retreated from the room.  In a matter of minutes I heard my mother scream from the top of her lungs, quiet down to heavy breathing then scream again.