Chapter 14

“Yes,” I said trying not to grin proudly, “but not as beautiful as the princess Penny.”  I had to make it seem like I wasn’t giving much praise about my own looks.

                “Very true,” Yonda said nodding, “everyone assumed that she would be the king’s successor.”

                “Because of her looks?”

                “No because she was the closest with the king.”

                “Ah,” I said my thoughts in the sky.

                “And apparently, the king was absolutely devastated when the Princess Adeline was kidnapped.”

                “I’d assume so as well, that would be a start of war against Krush.”

                “Yes, and with no alliance with Fire Kingdom, I fear if war should happen they would not win.”

                “But there is an alliance now, since King Felix is governing Fire and Air Kingdom.”

                “That is very lucky,” Yonda said, “since the prince is dead as well.”

                “How did the prince die?” I asked curious to see what lies the kingdom’s villagers had spun.

                “Apparently, the prince drowned in Lake Peril trying to save the princess from the bandits.”

                Well, now Josh looked like the brave hero while I was the careless girl who was foolish enough to get sucked into a trap.

                “Now enough chat,” Yonda said standing up, “dinnertime is almost here.  Will you make dinner?  I have no idea how to cook.”

                I laughed, nodding my head, “I love cooking, especially baking.”

                She linked her arm through mine as we made our way to the cooking tent.  The warm wind blew against my dress.               

I studied Yonda’s profile.  She had the deep gray eyes of the people of Earth Kingdom.

                I felt bad for lying to someone who was giving Josh and me such hospitality but I wasn’t going to take any chances of not getting home.  I had more at stake.  I needed to save Air Kingdom from King Felix.

Joshua

                 After the UpKee showed me Addy and my guest tent he brought me to one of the caravans.  He tapped the drapes and they opened by themselves.

                “So you were in Krush,” the UpKee started.

                “Yes,” I replied looking into the storage.  I saw food that had been shipped to the Desert Realm since they were unable to grow their own food.  All their needs were brought to them through their allied Realms.

                “Do you know how King Fox is?” he asked.

                “No we were not allowed near the castle, we stayed in an inn nearby.  We just heard of the announcement of the marriage and the death of King Thomas.”

                “Ah yes,” the UpKee said, “that was a tragedy.”

                “Yes it was,” I said, “that’s why Addy and I are going back to Collaner, to be at the funeral.”