Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

Adeline

I awoke two weeks after that date with Josh.   Right now the sun hadn’t even risen about the horizon.  I slipped on my emerald robe and tip toed to the castle exit.  I needed to go hunting again so I decided to risk getting caught

I walked quietly to the stables.  Maybe I should make our next ‘date’ here.  That way I could leave the palace with an excuse.  I was enlightened by the thought.  I turned on my heel and quickly ran back to the castle to tell my father.  Hunting could wait.

I ran to my dad’s chambers, my bare feet slapping on the cold stone of the palace floor and my robe flying behind me.  I let myself in my father’s room not even caring that he may still be asleep.

“Father,” I said excitedly pushing him from his slumber.

“Yes Adeline,” he said groggily.

“Father,” I started, “I have an idea for Josh and my next date.”

“What is it Adeline?” my father asked, now intrigued.

“Can Josh and I go riding in the forest?” I asked, clapping my hands.

“What?” he asked sitting up.

I sat down on his bed and said, “If you let me, I won’t complain about this arranged marriage.”  This would be an easy promise since I was finally starting to warm up to the idea of marriage.  I didn’t even mind-a lot- that I was getting married to Josh.

“Really?” he said even more interested than before.

“Yes,” I said, “pinkies swear.” I knew that would butter him up, that was a joke between us when I was ten, before my mother died and he stopped talking to me, I stuck my little finger out and waited for him to shake.

There was a faint smile on his face as he reached over and shook my pinkie with his, “It’s a deal.  I’ll be at the tavern with King Felix.”

“Again?” I asked.

“Yes, he’s a great man,” my father said.  I took a good look at his face, it was grayer and more wrinkled than before, but it could just be me.  I pushed this notion out of my head.

“Thank you, Daddy!” I said smiling hugely.

I ran out of his room to the guest chambers, I let myself in.  King Felix sat up straight up in his bed and Josh followed suit.  

“Addy?” Josh asked. 

 “Hi Josh,” I said breathlessly, “we’re going riding for our date today.”

“Sounds like fun, right Joshua,” King Felix said.

“Yeah,” he said smiling, “see you later Addy.”

“Okay bye,” I said leaving the chambers.

I skipped all the way to my room and spun around, “Irene!”

“Yes Princess,” she said in confusion.

“I need my riding outfit,” I told her, “I’m leaving the castle for my date.”

Irene looked at me with my face beaming and my arms outstretched over my head.

“So does this mean Prince Joshua has finally penetrated to the wall protecting your heart?”

“I guess,” I said lowering my hands, “he’s the first boy I’ve really talked to about personal things.”

“What about that guard, um Sir Steven?” Irene asked.