Chapter 4

Chapter 4:

Adeline

               I walked into the banquet room of the castle after everyone had been seated.  I stopped at the entrance of the room.  Everyone turned to look at me and I smiled slightly, being in the center of attention was my specialty.

                I picked up the ruffled skirt of my ruby red satin short sleeved dress and walked to my seat at the right of my father.  I sat down across from Prince Joshua who was seated at the left of my father and fingered the sapphire pendent that was once my mother’s which I wore every day.  I scratched the scales that rose from the dragons claw that clasped the jewel.

                “Anyway,” my father continued as he stood up from the head of the long oak table, “I would like to make a toast.” He lifted his wine glass in the air.

                He waited until everyone stood up and raised their glasses.  I raised mine half-heartedly, feeling the silver bangles I wore slide towards my elbows.   My father glared at me.  It was probably because I wore my third-best everyday tiara, a silver one with one small diamond in the center.  Also, my hair was stuffed inside a net that was studded with diamonds.  It attached to the back of my tiara.  I smiled at my father innocently.

Then he continued, “To Prince Joshua and Princess Adeline, may you live in happiness together.” 

                “To Prince Joshua and Princess Adeline,” everyone echoed.

                I sat down first, narrowing my eyes and Prince Joshua sat down just as quickly.  I lifted the wine glass and drank the blood-red liquid.  I felt the liquid burn down my throat.  Over the top of the glass I saw the prince staring at me.  I put the glass down and looked at him too.  He crossed his eyes and made a goofy face.  I felt a laugh start at my throat which I quickly swallowed the rest of my drink. 

                I glanced at my other two sisters they were looking upon me in disdain.  Angelica mouthed to me, why you?  I shrugged in response even though it was obvious.  They were as boring as an unembellished sword hilt.

                I tried listening to my father’s conversation, “This alliance will help strengthen the ties between the kingdoms.  As you all know we are already in peace with the other two kingdoms: Water and Earth now we reconnect with our last kingdom, Fire.” He gestured to King Felix.

                “Felix has something to add,” my father said.

                “Yes I do,” King Felix said.  I sighed playing with the silver ring on my middle finger.  I looked down at my uneaten chicken salad.

                “This is the first time in 100 years that an alliance was formed between two kingdoms in Collaner through matrimony,” King Felix said, “Therefore; this ceremony is going to be big, huge even. There will be dragon entertainment, the Elves of Galla, and other amazing magical entertainment.”  He paused waiting for the applause to start and die down. 

                “Also,” he said, “this is the first time that the leaders of a kingdom will be leaders of two kingdoms at the same time.” Everyone listened in silent awe.

                “So,” he continued, “this is very exciting!”  I rolled my eyes, that was something people said when they had nothing else to say.

                “Prince Joshua and Princess Adeline,” King Felix said gesturing to each of us in turn, “will be married in a month, the day before the Council of the Risen, so the new members of the council can come to their first meeting.”  Everyone started clapping at once.