Chapter 15

Joshua

The UpKee dressed me in his purple royal Desertes Populus robes, fresh white tunic, brown boots and circular crown like he had on.

“Thank you,” I said smoothing out my new tan robes.

“I know you were the one who killed King Fox,” the UpKee said poking his head in the caravan.

“Really?” I asked.

“Yes,” the UpKee said looking me in the eye, “I must thank you.”

“What?” I asked shocked.

“Yes,” he said sadly, “I’ve been meaning to break off the alliance with King Fox and Krush, but I was worried for the lives of my wife and people if I broke our deal.”

“Well,” I said slowly, “anything for the safety of a Realm.”

“Good,” he said clapping me on the shoulder, “wise words of any king.”

“My father is king, I am just a prince,” I said.  I shrugged my shoulders pretending like it was no big deal.

“Until you return to Air Kingdom,” the UpKee said.

“Yes, then I am King of Air Kingdom, if and only if she inherits the Speak, and he is still King of Fire,” I replied.

“I thought you be king of both kingdoms,” the UpKee said.

“No,” I said as realization set in, “he only made that rule when King Thomas was still alive.”

“I guess that seems fair,” the UpKee said nodding, “you’ll have your hands full with that wife of yours.”

I laughed and the UpKee joined in with a great hearty laugh.

“Ah boy,” he said, “you will make a great king.”

“Introducing,” Yonda shouted in a faux-deep voice, “Princess Adeline of Air Kingdom.”

Adeline emerged from the tent laughing and softly slapping Yonda on the shoulder.

Addy looked beautiful, her brown ringlets shining in the sun, her identical circular crown gleaming around her head.  I smiled and looked at her.  She smiled back and lowered her eyes, looking at me through her eyelashes.

“Okay,” the UpKee said sternly, “the deal was one day, here is your horse.”

He handed me the reins of the black stallion we stole from Krush.  I offered a hand to help Addy onto the saddle.  She declined me with a mischievous smile and put her foot in the stirrup and swung her leg over and sidled over to the front of the saddle.

I sighed and swung myself onto the saddle after her.

“Here is food for your journey,” Yonda said handing Addy a caramel colored satchel which Addy immediately slung across her body.

“And here is a sleeping mat,” the UpKee said strapping it to the back of the saddle, “and pillows.”

“Thank you UpKee and Yonda,” I said graciously.

Addy gave Yonda a quick hug from the top of the horse and wave to the UpKee.

“Josh,” the UpKee said seriously, “remember the Desertes Populus if you need an alliance.”

“We will UpKee,” I answered graciously.

“Good bye,” Addy called waving as I spurred the horse.

We trotted towards the end of the Desertes Populus Realm and into the dense Forest of Marr.

“Well,” I said, “any words before we enter Collaner again.”